Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 77
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 42892 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
History of the Grorg - what happened?

Does anyone have the straight dope on what exactly happened at UD?

I know about the "we completed our mission" kaka UD was handing us, but since they've always treated us like mushrooms - keeping us in the dark and feeding us sh!t, I'm not buying it.

There were some posts about new hardware they were supposed to get to support the new software. What was that about? How did you hear about it.

There was a post about their having financial problems. How do you know. I tried to get infor from SEC but it doesn't seem that they're publicly traded so can you even get a look at their financial statements.

There are a lot of unresolved issues. Why did they close everything down in 2 days? I had written to Mary Bass about starting a newsletter. That was almost 2 weeks ago. She told me to reminder her in May. Obviously she knew that we would be there by then. So this wasn't a last minute decision, they were planning it for a while.

I'm happy to move on. Heck, I migrated over here almost a month ago. Left one machine at UD. So I'm over it from that perspective. But I'm still curious. When it take it up the @$$, I like to try to find out why. And I know a lot of other Grorgs feel the same.

This thread is for info, rumor, credible innuendo etc. To just vent, which by the way is welcomed and encouraged - within llimits - please go to the venting thread - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=12940

--
This post has been edited for inappropriate language - nelsoc
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 1, 2007 1:56:18 PM]
[Apr 28, 2007 12:52:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: History of the Grorg - what happened?

I don't know how much the WCG staff knew - I suspect they were told only a little before the grid.org crunchers, or maybe not at all. They seemed surprised, but they moved pretty fast :-)

I can tell you that United Devices want to sell their latest Grid MP 5 software, but WCG are unwilling to be a guinea pig for an untested platform. I imagine this is why United Devices were planning on upgrading grid.org to use MP 5. I have no idea why the wheels fell off. The Grid MP 3 software is ancient, and we need to move on as much as grid.org did.

Please note: this is all speculation. I can't speak authoritatively for WCG.

edit: typo
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 28, 2007 1:12:55 PM]
[Apr 28, 2007 1:11:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

grid.org bought some "new" servers a year or two ago, but I never saw a commitment to use them for the "free" portion of grid computing, meaning you.

I saw one post that the notice to shut down was later than planned. Another moderator said that he would ask that the forum be kept around for awhile. I suggested that he ask someone besides who did the planning. The forum disappeared and the end of mission page showed up at 12:12pm, Fri. April 27, 2007. The Mary Bass thing about new versions or a new beta program could have been mere appeasement, since she was really a Marketing Type Person, not a programmer.

This was not the first time that members were misdirected. "junk" workunits were crunched for 6 months while they were "waiting for work". It was felt that keeping the computers busy with "crud" was better than leaving them idle and getting complaints. I left at about that time and came over here. A couple of months ago, the Rosetta scientists announced that the data that UD gave them for Rosetta Phase 1 was no good. A few members liked to post that they would stay no matter what. One asked Thursday when the grid.org beta program would be ready. I suggested that he read the shutdown notice, and he agreed that it was "a kick in the head".
I never did hear much from Oxford in the last year with new Chemistry projects over there. I don't think that UD really had ANYTHING to work on recently, so they just pulled the plug at an arbitrary date, not waiting for junk workunits out there to finish. I saw no notice of new projects being worked on. I looked.

The evangelism that their "mission was complete" will also come back to bite them. How many of their members actually work for some of those commercial companies that would use grid computing? Ill will and bad reputations are remembered long after the "success marketing messages". The 4th anniversary of "OUR MISSION IN IRAQ IS COMPLETE" is coming up this week.

I don't think that BOINC is required to use UD software, since there is an amazing amount of different projects out there that do all kinds of different stuff. I am connected to 39 myself on one computer. At some point, the UD projects will wither due to the continued use of MP 3 and new things will appear that won't work on MP 3. It will then be BOINC all the way.

I also don't think either that WCG felt like they wanted to be the first guinea pig user of MP 5. I feel that the shutdown was based on their own "bunker mentality", and not anything that either happened or didn't happen over here. On the other hand, what has been running here actually worked. The WCG version of UD.EXE was slightly different from the grid.org version of UD.EXE for whatever reason. The Rosetta scientists were very happy with it, ergo YOU are now working on Rosetta phase 2. WCG has already promised not to play with junk workunits, after seeing many of the earlier concerns from grid.org members that came over here in an earlier migration after the grid.org potato famine.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 3 times, last edit by retsof at Apr 28, 2007 1:45:42 PM]
[Apr 28, 2007 1:29:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I was a Mod at UD for over 4 years, before leaving due to not being backed -up by UD management. My over riding feeling about them for the last 4 years was that they just did not care about their members, we were just mushrooms.

When it first started it was using THINK by Keith Davies of Oxford and he posted every day and quickly responded. He also developed a much better version of THINK but UD declined to use it and went over to Ligandfit, from that point we lost any update on the progress of the project. THINK went on to become FaD.

I decided to give them a chance when they announced the 'new' stuff starting in the first quarter of this year, but when they missed the deadline I began to suspect a smelly rat somewhere. Then the one guy who did post, Robby with his weekly updates, suddenly stopped posting about 4 weeks ago...........they probably got rid of him then as the Web support was going to be finishing.....you know the rest!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 28, 2007 2:17:58 PM]
[Apr 28, 2007 2:16:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Apr 28, 2007 2:33:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

They're not wearing UD t-shirts
[Apr 28, 2007 3:14:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

They're not wearing UD t-shirts
They should have ordered all of them in XXXXXXXXS size for forest wear instead of XXL overoptimistic.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
School i7 4770 8threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
[Edit 2 times, last edit by retsof at Apr 28, 2007 3:44:49 PM]
[Apr 28, 2007 3:39:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NixChix
Veteran Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Apparantly there is no one there to even turn off the Stats job, as it is running right now. laughing I dunno why it doesn't finish real quick since there is no data to process. laughing

[Apr 29, 2007 3:26:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Yah. I noticed that. Why should that be any different then when somebody was actually in the server room to notice? (I think they are leaving it up for a week, for some unknown reason.) I was trying to get a total to send to http://theregister.co.uk. Their team finished up on grid.org, but they don't seem to realize that I helped to start over 40 others at other projects. It just doesn't sink in --- at either place.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
School i7 4770 8threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
[Apr 29, 2007 3:47:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

Sorry for not posting sooner. Haven't been feeling well.

So to sum it up. UD was trying to roll our a new client - MP5. For this they needed new servers which they couldn't afford to buy - or maybe didn't buy as many as they needed. Also, had a hard time selling new agent without some real world testing.

So did they abandon MP5 and for that reascon close Grid.org? Or do you think that they will be using this agent with Bristol Meyers and use their IT department help with the testing and funding of new servers?

Does anyone have contacts at UD who would be willing to answer any of these questions - anonymously of course?

I know I should let this go, but I am so darned curious. It seems so inconceivable to me to waste the kind of resource they had with Grid.org.
--------------------------
I am Grorg, I will be assimilated.

--
This post has been edited for inappropriate language - nelsoc

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 1, 2007 1:57:45 PM]
[Apr 29, 2007 4:24:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread