Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 619 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Merging computer records

OK, so I had a HDD fail. HDD has gone back for replacement and a new install of Windows.

So now I have the same PC listed twice in my 'devices'. I found http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Host_identification_and_merging but for the life of me cannot see anything in the WCG BOINC client nor web pages that will allow me to merge the previous identity with the new.

As something of a fiddler I regularly blow up my own computer, I don't really want a record for each instance.

Agent 6.2.28
[Apr 19, 2009 10:51:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Merging computer records

[Apr 19, 2009 11:13:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

tks, but that sux.

I cannot 'cleanly retire' the old instance and would like to track the performance record of an individual piece of hardware to 'merge' through installations.

No big deal though, if it is how it is it is how it is.

again, tks
[Apr 19, 2009 11:24:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I fail to understand why this feature is ever requested. It caused all sorts of problems for those BOINC projects that use it.
[Apr 19, 2009 11:47:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I fail to understand why this feature is ever requested. It caused all sorts of problems for those BOINC projects that use it.

The reason it is requested is that merging of records for different instances of BOINC on the same machine makes it easier for stats junkies to keep track of performace parameters for each machine. I realize it probably requires more back office work than it is worth. Having had this same problem with HDD's dying and having to reinstall both OS and BOINC several times on machines, it gives another instance of the machine in your device statistics. You can still combine the stats for each instance, but: 1. Most people don't care anyway and
2. It is not that big of deal to manually combine them.

Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 20, 2009 1:07:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

and I fail to see why it is considered complex. Incomplete results on the (now no longer available) earlier instance can be discarded and, if anything, merging the records would release such incomplete Work Units by confirming that the earlier instance was no longer available.

as suggested though, no big deal.
[Apr 20, 2009 11:45:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It's not really all that complex (although the techs do already have enough to keep them occupied for years, so priority is hard to determine) - but despite that, when Berkeley implemented their version of the feature, they had no end of trouble.

Ultimately, I view it as feature bloat. We don't need it, so although it may be neat for those that like such things, I can't see how it can be justified. With that in mind, I'm glad you consider it no big deal.

BOINC already suffers from trying to do everything.
[Apr 21, 2009 12:17:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I think I may just ask the monkey to bring me another book while I get on with life.
[Apr 21, 2009 8:35:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Warped@RSA
Senior Cruncher
South Africa
Project Badges:

According to the stats I have 5 machines. That's a gross overstatement. In fact I had a motherboard failure and re-load of the operating system, The same machine has dual-boot Ubuntu (64-bit) and Win XP, so that accounts for 4 machines!

Anyway, with such a lowly machine count, it's rather daunting to try and keep up with the flow of new projects. crying

I have yet to start a single IADS workunit and now we have HCMD2 to contend with. Oh well, shut up and crunch - or is bring me the book so that I can get on with life? peace
----------------------------------------
Dave

[May 12, 2009 4:17:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread