Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 51
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 54561 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
shock Not Funny

There is an old joke that it is 99.9% of the Lawyers that give the rest a bad name. smile

This project is so error filled that it could be giving DC a bad name. I think they should put it in abeyance till someone fixes at least some of the problems. not talking
----------------------------------------
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[Oct 17, 2009 5:10:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Greg L
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Not Funny

Noooo, absolutely not

(or at least not until my sloow computer can crank through the next 60ish CPU days (dual core so a month...) this is the only one that I'll probably ever be near a sapphire badge with & it can't be closed down when I'm this close.

(I keep doing a double take when I see your name here - RT is mine on a few other forums that I haunt :D )

[Oct 18, 2009 1:29:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:
smile Re: Not Funny

Uhhh...... OK smile But it still is sending out tons of error prone WUs that just waste computer time. (I know I have lost at least a month's CPU time on it). I have 4 quads that wailed away on it for several days while I was out of town and when I came back it must have been half of them in error. Recently I had another batch. I off to other projects as soon as the queue(s) drain. When I use RT, it is because my name is Robert Taylor. biggrin
RT Website Hosting

[Oct 18, 2009 12:48:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

New thread, same subject. Let me ask the techs to make an analysis of your account, specifically the error record. 99.9% of those that fail, fail within the first minutes. Think there's also some sort of automated mail notification of persistent errors and if not I'll ask for an implementation of some kind to do so. And finally as discussed, in several HPF2 threads, there's a plan to automatically stop sending the specific science to devices that persistently fail on them. The daily quota eventually dips to 1 per day, which is why the continued recommendation remains in place. Not sure what's happening if the "if there is no work for..." is on, but from a member report it seems the servers send 1 of every science to find out which one runs without fail.

It's not funny at all, but besides that the fail reason has never been found, not that significant to stop this science project. 60.8 million results validated to date.

PS: My sky is depending on time of day, season, wind direction and where I am on the planet of different color, but as per my signature irrespective, 1 thing never changes.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 18, 2009 1:10:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have done over 540 days of crunching on this project on 9 different computers with minimal errors.
[Oct 19, 2009 2:50:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

You are right, some things never change. Delete the thread if you wish...I couldn't care less.
RT Website Hosting

[Oct 19, 2009 3:57:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

RT,
With your huge contribution to WCG I hate to see you have problems. Yes a previous thread may have covered this issue but trying to find it is probably more difficult than figuring out why you have so many errors on this project. With the CEP I lost significant computing time due to all the errors I receievd. After the 2 year mark (and the project was ending) I moved on. Fortunately we have many different projects to chose from and though I want to complete 2 years on as many projects as possible those that give me headaches I move off of as soon as I reach that point or it ends. I am realitively close to 2 years on HPF2 but with its really low points/hour of computing I will move off of it soon. Perhaps tp save your self headaches also you might want to find better projects then HPF2. As a fellow Texan have a great day!
[Oct 19, 2009 1:53:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

RT,
With your huge contribution to WCG I hate to see you have problems. Yes a previous thread may have covered this issue but trying to find it is probably more difficult than figuring out why you have so many errors on this project. With the CEP I lost significant computing time due to all the errors I receievd. After the 2 year mark (and the project was ending) I moved on. Fortunately we have many different projects to chose from and though I want to complete 2 years on as many projects as possible those that give me headaches I move off of as soon as I reach that point or it ends. I am realitively close to 2 years on HPF2 but with its really low points/hour of computing I will move off of it soon. Perhaps tp save your self headaches also you might want to find better projects then HPF2. As a fellow Texan have a great day!

As you can see by the badges, I have now completed 2 years on HPF2. The issue to me is just that if they can't fix that problem, how do they know that "valid" results are even valid? Anyway, I moved all machines to other projects; my only concern is that this project is looking like the old Grid.org (United Devices) when they had a severe problem and just stonewalled their volunteer community and wasted years worth of volunteer computer time. That was in October/November/December of 2004 when I quit them and came to the WCG.

Kind Regards to you and everyone else that reads this as well and Have a great day. smile
RT Website Hosting

[Oct 19, 2009 4:30:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

RT,

As you can see by the badges, I have now completed 2 years on HPF2. The issue to me is just that if they can't fix that problem, how do they know that "valid" results are even valid? Anyway, I moved all machines to other projects; my only concern is that this project is looking like the old Grid.org (United Devices) when they had a severe problem and just stonewalled their volunteer community and wasted years worth of volunteer computer time. That was in October/November/December of 2004 when I quit them and came to the WCG.

Kind Regards to you and everyone else that reads this as well and Have a great day. smile

Dr. Bonneau has posted regular updates throughout the years commenting on the results from HPF2, so the results are certainly valid.
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~rb133/wcg/rbonneau_posts.html

This is not grid.org where projects were left running "because some liked the screensaver."
[Oct 19, 2009 4:45:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

I sure hope he is correct in his last update in July; I would love it if it really is contributing to the cure of disease.
But if there are errors in the code (which there are), it seems to me to cast doubt on the whole process.
The UD fiasco was not a screensaver issue but rather one of them continuing to send out hundreds of already solved WUs hundreds of times because they had no new work. It went on for months, and volunteers kept asking why. Grid.org (UD) gave no answers...like this project "Trust Me; we have it under control" -- which always makes me suspicious. Of course eventually all the volunteers, even the blindly loyal to Grid.org who consistently deluded themselves and ignored the facts, had to move on to another outfit or just quit the Distributed Computing world. (Which some did being soured on the whole process by the deception). In the meantime, the CAs (I forget what they were called over there) and other reps, kept telling everyone that everything is OK..right up to the point they folded up their tent and steeled off in the night. I really, really hope this is not the case with this project.

It seems aparent at this point that contiuation of this discussion will not contribute in any way to the resolution of the problems and we can only wait and hope that the biological result is good despite the computer science being flawed.

By the way esoteric17, I love your sig line.. "...we borrow it from our children". How very true, we are not owners rather temporary caretakers.

Everyone have a great day. smile
RT Website Hosting

[Oct 19, 2009 7:11:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread