Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18456 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Pay it Forward

As a team here at XS we have often helped each other out when it comes to ensuring a badge for a team mate.

The method we use is to select no new work then, once the cache is used up and with boinc still running we open a command window, cd to boinc folder then enter the following:

boinccmd --project www.worldcommunitygrid.org detach and press Enter/Return
boinccmd --project_attach www.worldcommunitygrid.org enter_weak_key_here and press Enter/Return

I understand those who prefer to be able to say I did it all myself but I propose that some folks here might be prepared to help others get a badge.

You can make individual decisions regarding whether you prefer to pay the helper back or maybe you prefer the Pay it forward method of balancing the books

If the needy post their required number of days with their weak key they should also complete their contact details (email addy can be just for this) in their profile in order that arrangements can be made.

Does this idea appeal to either other teams or the general WCG populous ??
----------------------------------------

[May 9, 2015 11:29:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Pay it Forward

I think it's a great idea! I thought about giving back to SNURK this way before joining his team!
[May 9, 2015 4:15:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mamajuanauk
Master Cruncher
United Kingdom
Project Badges:

+1 - I think it's a great idea too, I have donated to other teams, if I remember correctly, it was to celebrate some milestone or another, what seems like an age ago...

I could dedicate a number of cores to the pool and put the RTD's in the pot for someone else who needed them... I.E. Pay forward.
Mamajuanauk is the Name! Crunching is the Game!

[May 10, 2015 8:12:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I am still short of my target but my teammates have me covered these past few days so I project ~18 days still needed.

After that, if there are wu's to be worked, I can offer cores.

I would wish them to be paid forward too

With MCM likely to finish in Sept according to current info, you will get your chance quite soon.

[May 10, 2015 9:35:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I got my badge thanks to my teammates Now I switched everything to MCM which I fear will end too soon so.....

One last offer to everybody, particularly anyone who feels they might be coming up a little short as the wu's run out....

If you need a few days/weeks/even maybe months of runtime to secure a badge post your weak key here together with your current runtime and core count and I will attempt to put enough cores on your account to get the job done.

[May 25, 2015 9:10:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
widdershins
Veteran Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

A generous offer OldChap, but for me the thrill of the chase is part of the fun. I know I'll probably not make 10 years since I estimate the project would need to keep issuing WU's until the end of June since I've only got 7 and a bit years just now, but that little roll of the dice keeps it interesting. Who knows what June will bring.

Now if you were making the same offer in the Beta unit forum...

It's taken years to see that elusive emerald beta badge in the distance. But only 34 days needed for that one now. I'm hoping that the end of FAAH1 heralds a large Beta for FAAH2 biggrin
[May 25, 2015 10:27:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread