Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 91
Posts: 91   Pages: 10   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12501 times and has 90 replies Next Thread
Chris311
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Short project?

On the 'Research' page the end of the project is estimated in August this year.
If this is true the work load of this project is very small, after one month we are already at 13%.

Thoughts?

v/r
Chris
----------------------------------------

[Feb 20, 2017 5:25:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Short project?

Really, the learning curve must be too steep... WCG will hardly gear up for such a short lived project, barely 7 months, so it is fairly save/safe to guess it's just another tech plug.

My thoughts ;P)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 20, 2017 6:11:27 PM]
[Feb 20, 2017 6:10:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris311
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Really, the learning curve must be too steep... WCG will hardly gear up for such a short lived project, barely 7 months, so it is fairly save/safe to guess it's just another tech plug.

My thoughts ;P)

There have been way shorter projects in the past... ;-)

[Feb 20, 2017 6:22:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Another 'really? Since you speak in the plural., name me 2 'way shorter' since start @ WCG

Edit, As it so happens, yes Bill again, I have a table with all the project beginning / end dates of work, 1 was 'almost way' ;))))
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 20, 2017 7:01:46 PM]
[Feb 20, 2017 6:35:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris311
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Another 'really? Since you speak in the plural., name me 2 'way shorter' since start @ WCG

Really?! Your internet search learning curve is not very steep… wink

Today: Smash Childhood Cancer @ 13% 2387:191:10:11:17 /// @ 100% (estimated) 18300:000:00:00:00

I name you not two, I name you 9 projects:

AfricanClimate@Home 33:020:18:29:27
Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2 1471:288:10:47:40
The Clean Energy Project Project 2181:057:12:58:08
Influenza Antiviral Drug Search 2876:296:11:42:21
Help Defeat Cancer Project 2909:260:10:43:29
Genome Comparison Project 3748:057:03:02:41
Computing for Sustainable Water 4173:112:05:00:39
Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy 8082:361:20:15:27
Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together 11737:007:01:19:58

not talking

[Feb 20, 2017 7:17:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ah, your were speaking of work-volume... I'm speaking of time, which my previously reply clearly noted, and that's what about 99% is interested in... how long each has to get at a personal target.

Anyway, 'my thoughts' are... whatever else you may want to argue about... I plot my own way \o/.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 20, 2017 7:51:20 PM]
[Feb 20, 2017 7:49:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

I'm not panicking (yet), as we've been here before - most recently with Zika.

There is another aspect to this - and that's the background of where this project came from (HFCC). With that project, the scientists originally targetted three areas, and then when they started seeing the power of WCG, three more were added, and then another three - all the while extending the project far longer than it was originally scheduled for.

Now, I'm pretty certain that those same scientists won't have come here with a 'tiddly little project' that it'd be over in literally months. I'm sure the "August 2017" end date (as currently shown on the Research Page), is just a quirk of WCG's automated routine to try and guestimate the end date. After all, I'm led to believe that that particular calculation takes in the number of WU's crunched in a certain period (and, just at the moment, with a "Badge Hunt Frenzy" going on), those numbers will be moving pretty fast - especially considering that HST/FAHB aren't in any way, up to their full strength (and, of course CEP2 totally being out of the picture) at the moment.

[Feb 20, 2017 8:51:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris311
Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

I'm not panicking (yet), as we've been here before - most recently with Zika.

There is another aspect to this - and that's the background of where this project came from (HFCC). With that project, the scientists originally targetted three areas, and then when they started seeing the power of WCG, three more were added, and then another three - all the while extending the project far longer than it was originally scheduled for.

Now, I'm pretty certain that those same scientists won't have come here with a 'tiddly little project' that it'd be over in literally months. I'm sure the "August 2017" end date (as currently shown on the Research Page), is just a quirk of WCG's automated routine to try and guestimate the end date. After all, I'm led to believe that that particular calculation takes in the number of WU's crunched in a certain period (and, just at the moment, with a "Badge Hunt Frenzy" going on), those numbers will be moving pretty fast - especially considering that HST/FAHB aren't in any way, up to their full strength (and, of course CEP2 totally being out of the picture) at the moment.

Thank you gb009761 for this informative and non-personal-level answer.

I see a problem with the ending MCM project. This project generates 245 years per day and if they “switch” to the SCC project, the end date could even be closer. It`s all about the total work-volume.

v/r
Chris

P.S. Sorry for my bad English in reading and writing, English is not my native language. It is just sufficient to fly passenger aircraft worldwide and to graduate (with distinction) from a leading US university.

[Feb 20, 2017 9:31:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I see a problem with the ending MCM project. This project generates 245 years per day and if they “switch” to the SCC project, the end date could even be closer. It`s all about the total work-volume.

Even though the latest approximately 5000 batches of MCM1 may be finishing sometime this spring, I am pretty sure, although not positive, the scientists will be adding additional work. Stay tuned for further developments.
(And, by the way, your English is excellent.)
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Feb 21, 2017 12:14:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yavanius
Senior Cruncher
Antarctica
Project Badges:

From the SCC Page:

These calculations will identify the top drug molecules that are likely to control each of the target molecules found in cancer cells. Laboratory tests will then identify the best compounds from the identified candidates for further research and drug development.

In addition to neuroblastoma, the scientists are initially interested in developing treatments for Wilms' tumors (malignancies in the kidneys), hepatoblastoma (liver cancer), germ cell tumors, and osteosarcoma (bone cancer).
[Feb 22, 2017 4:43:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 91   Pages: 10   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread