Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 112
Posts: 112   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 122273 times and has 111 replies Next Thread
gta198
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Transition Talk

I probably just missed it, but will the institutes projects have priority over non institute projects?
[Sep 14, 2021 3:22:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cappucino
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Personally not too worried about the future of WCG - Krembil bringing more of its own projects on board, as implied by the announcement article that they're considering it, could also help secure the future of the grid.

Yes, some concern about them putting sole or majority focus on their own projects is valid - but the possible benefits of securing the future of the grid could be more than worth it. If dozens of jobs, and multiple research projects within Krembil are dependent on the Grid - all the more reason to fight for it to continue.

They're also scientists, and a not-for-profit - so I'd have to argue that them just ignoring their fellow peers is not just unlikely - it is a very cynical take, one which is very distrustful. University Health Network has been involved with the grid in some form since 2007 - with Help Conquer Cancer and now MCM, which has been running since 2013. Is there anyone more qualified to take it on?

Hi,
I'm not really one who messes around much in the Forums, and actually this will be my first post ever in them. I started crunching on IBM's grid in 2007 after University of Oxford-England shut down their grid without much notice. They did provide a list of other grids, and for me it was a no brainer as harnessing the power of a worldwide collective to better our world and the health of humans was always far more appealing than trying to find intelligent life elsewhere. So I've been here for, years crunching away on all my devices, which I must say, are left on 24/7/365.

Most of what I've had questions on have been addressed in the questions and answers area, which is specifically if the results from the grid will still be in the public domain for other researchers to use. That's very important to me. Keeping the points and such is very nice (I lost a LOT at the University of Oxford), but not important to me in the overall scheme of things. Future research, support and continuation of the grid itself is far more important to me.

A couple of things which I think *could* be better communicated is the fact that Krembil IS a non-profit entity. That's a selling point for me to stay as I know for certain that it's not about money, but science and the motivations that I have always had for being involved in a grid is the exact reason Krembil is a good fit for taking it over.

It should also be communicated better that Krembil has been involved in submitting and having projects ran on the grid in the past, so there already is some familiarity with the process of reviewing, selecting and putting research onto the grid. Whether it becomes entirely Krembil research is a bit concerning, but if the results are in the public domain I'm a bit less so.

I would hope IBM continues to provide OS updates (hopefully to Krembil for free or at a deep discount) and that Krembill loads them in a timely manner as IBM did in the past? That's a small thing I've been wondering about.

Bottom line is I see no reason for me to leave. Everything has been very transparent and all concerns and questions are being answered in a timely manner.

Thank you, IBM! Choosing your grid over anyone else's was easy, and since I've always been a fan of IBM, I had a LOT of pride in telling people I was involved with IBM in finding cures for many different human ailments.

Up and onward with me, Krembil!
[Sep 14, 2021 5:15:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoerik
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

gta198, that's a question for the Q&A thread.

hi cappucino, I'm honoured that I triggered your first comment in the forums! But yes, some sort of communication reiterating that Krembil, and its parent, UHN, are non-profit entities with a long history with WCG might help alleviate some nerves.

It only takes a minute to google some info about Krembil and UHN, but given some comments have already raised concerns with one already rage quitting, it seems like it has to be addressed.

Frankly it's concerning that people so mistrust IBM that they'd hand the grid over to someone with no idea what they're doing, and that instead of doing some basic research they just leaped into panic mode.
----------------------------------------

[Sep 14, 2021 7:12:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bryn Mawr
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I probably just missed it, but will the institutes projects have priority over non institute projects?

Surely we continue to choose which projects we want to contribute to so your question comes down to will they reject an external project request if an internal project is in the pipeline?
[Sep 14, 2021 7:20:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ATHANASIOS PAN. GKOLIARAS
Cruncher
Project Badges:

If I understood well, the IT infrastructure will be moved from IBM Cloud to Krembil Research Institute's systems. Will these systems (and network) can support the volume of data of WCG or will we have connection problems? confused
[Sep 14, 2021 7:47:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoerik
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

ATHANASIOS P. GKOLIARAS, you have to take that question to the Q&A thread.

[Sep 14, 2021 1:00:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

I'm still in shock shock . It seemed to me that to say WCG was the same thing as to say IBM. It sort of makes sense for this to happen, the search for cures and treatments should probably be with a research institute. I've been with WCG since the beginning (wow, almost 17 years !). but I guess this has to evolve. I wish the IBM team the best luck in the world in their new endeavors and to the new research team, welcome !!!

Thanks,
CJSL

Crunching on the thin ice of a new day....
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Sep 14, 2021 1:22:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

If I understood well, the IT infrastructure will be moved from IBM Cloud to Krembil Research Institute's systems. Will these systems (and network) can support the volume of data of WCG or will we have connection problems? confused

Work and planning are already underway on migrating the system over to Krembil. We have had many good discussions about the architecture and required performance of the system. Based on the work done and the resources that are being put into place I have high confidence that system will be able to run well on their infrastructure.

I've seen some questions about whether or not points would be kept or if people's accounts would remain the same. From the technical perspective of the system, this transition will look like a data center migration similar to what we did in 2009 and 2017 .
[Sep 14, 2021 1:27:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Arquebus
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

KRI must have reasons it WANTS to run WCG and IBM has reasons it wants OUT. Those alone are good indicators.

A new website has been desperately needed for over 5 years. Maybe 10. Hundreds of requests have been repeatedly ignored despite the skill bank IBM could have chosen to tap into.

The WCG Techs to this date continue their expertise in managing both software and hardware. We hope you all land on your feet.

Leaving the WCG Admin staff. They just appear to have been hampered in so many ways, whether imposed on them or self inflicted. New project acquisition. Website. Project reporting. Forum management. Volunteer recruitment. CRM.

I'm looking forward to a breath of fresh air and recapturing a sense of purpose.
[Sep 14, 2021 1:41:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

KRI must have reasons it WANTS to run WCG and IBM has reasons it wants OUT. Those alone are good indicators.
I'm looking forward to a breath of fresh air and recapturing a sense of purpose.

This.

I also think this move could be very reinvigorating for World Community Grid.
We're already being promised new projects (including 1 already in the early works), a new website, etc. Maybe there's even a new progress bar coming!

I am quite excited for the future of WCG.

I do hope all of the staff find new jobs wherever they may wish.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Falconet at Sep 14, 2021 1:52:22 PM]
[Sep 14, 2021 1:50:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 112   Pages: 12   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread