Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 45
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10449 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2022-10-04 Update (Thank You Email clarification)

Hi everyone,

We wanted to address some confusion that we have seen regarding the recent “World Community Grid is officially restarting BOINC” email. The point of the email was to express gratitude towards our community for continuing supporting WCG during the transition period, rather than announcing that the restart already happened. We are actively working on the many remaining issues, including the contribution page and calculation of the streaks (as noted in the email), download and http errors that you have been reported on the forums or our social media platforms. We specifically sent the email to the active volunteers, as they are helping us resolve the remaining challenges, and separately to the volunteers that supported WCG over the last 3 years, to start increasing the number of devices. We have not announced the restart to the general public yet - as we need to test and resolve issues such as the database crash on Sunday. We will announce the full restart once the platform is in a stable state with minimal to no errors - at that time on the web site and social media.

Once again, thank you for your support, patience and understanding.

WCG team at Krembil Research Institute
[Oct 4, 2022 7:41:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dough boy
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: 2022-10-04 Update (Thank You Email clarification)

I never received the email and I would have assumed based on this info above I would have.

Further, I have a dozen or more tasks stuck in downloading for a week now...
[Oct 4, 2022 7:53:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I never received the email and I would have assumed based on this info above I would have.

Further, I have a dozen or more tasks stuck in downloading for a week now...

Did you check your spam folder ?
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 4, 2022 8:18:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for a little clarification on the E-mail. However:

We specifically sent the email to the active volunteers, as they are helping us resolve the remaining challenges, and separately to the volunteers that supported WCG over the last 3 years, to start increasing the number of devices.

Sorry, I am not going to start increasing the number of devices until there is a sustained period of stability, perhaps 10 days to 2 weeks. I can deal with 1 or 2 machines running and dealing with the download problems, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to deal with any more.

And where is the explanation for why the website was down today ???

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 4, 2022 8:24:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nivrip
Senior Cruncher
North Yorkshire
Project Badges:

I never got the email either. And it's not in the spam folder.
ЮРКШИР КРУНЧЕР
[Oct 4, 2022 9:34:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I didn't receive the email either & I have checked my junk folder up to 3 weeks ago nothing there

[Oct 4, 2022 10:41:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Cheers

Sgt Joe have you read "2022-10-03 (System error explanation)" in the news section?

[Oct 4, 2022 10:50:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
immortal
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Here is the email titled "World Community Grid is officially restarting BOINC" from 10/1 for those who didn't get one. Basically they're officially restarting but most everything still doesn't work or is ridiculously slow. More of the same.

Dear immortal,

We cannot thank you enough for your dedication to science and your support of the Grid during the transition from IBM.

Finally, with a functioning infrastructure and critical issues resolved we are ready to reboot the World Community Grid!

Your ongoing support and feedback during the transition from IBM has been invaluable to the scientists who rely on us. Together we improved the Grid’s functionality and efficiency by targeting our limited technical resources, and while we certainly encountered more obstacles and challenges than we anticipated we are here now because of your patience and persistence.

There is work that remains to be done. In particular, while we were able to restore the My Contribution page functionality and you may have noticed that results over the past 2 days are now reflected - we must now carefully iterate through a modified version of the stats update procedure to add back each day that was missed. The results tab of the My Contribution page does reflect accurately the validation status and assigned credit of your workunits.

When complete stats are available we will begin a grace period for streaks of one month, extend all streaks that were active before the transition, and finally restore the normal cacluation of streaks when the grace period ends.

Finally, we are preparing a well deserved Badge of Honor for all the volunteers who submitted a valid result during the transition and testing phase, yourself included. We are also preparing yet another badge for all citizen scientists who join or return to the grid before the New Year.

Our research partners - the ARP, HSTB, MCM, OPN1 and SCC research teams - would like to extend their sincere thanks for seeing them through this crisis. As scientists ourselves at the Jurisica Lab and also one of the scientific teams of the WCG, we are proud to count you among our colleagues in science and look forward to working with you as we expand WCG operations. While returning and maintaining the full capacity of the Grid is our mandate, we will now be preparing to onboard new projects.

The World Community Grid remains steadfast and unchanged in our vision of a healthier world. Our mission is to accelerate science by creating a supercomputer empowered by a global community of volunteers. WCG supports open-source and open-data research while providing scientists with a computing platform that allows them to answer the world’s most pressing questions.

Thank you for your contribution to WCG and enabling seemingly impossible scientific research to come to life,

WCG Team at Krembil Research Institute, UHN
[Oct 4, 2022 11:43:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Cheers

Sgt Joe have you read "2022-10-03 (System error explanation)" in the news section?
Sorry, but there was no "explanation" to be honest. It makes very little sense that one of the only things that has worked for the last 4 months would all the sudden crap out like this. sad

And if that email was considered to show appreciation, then this was VERY badly worded. Specially as this was AFTER the download errors started again.And the email was send on Saturday and there is finally a response on Tuesday, 4 days later... sad

And yes, as Sgt.Joe already mentioned, it doesn't make any sense to "increase the number of devices" if things are still running as randomly as they still do.

Ralf

[Oct 4, 2022 11:55:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Cheers

No. I just checked the News section and the last item in there is dated 04-AUG- 2022.

The last E-mail I got from WCG is dated 01-OCT.2022.

Could you provide a link to the latest ?
Thank you

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 5, 2022 12:04:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread