Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3605 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Can't set HCMD in device profile

Heya
Q? Is this still a UD project. It ran on my machine briefly in December, but not now. I have wondered, and do have a personal interest, since a few friends are afflicted. it still shows on my profile.
[Jan 14, 2007 12:08:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello 7cures,
Yes, HCMD is still running, but if you look at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewProject.do?projectShortName=hcmd you will see that it only sends out a few work units each day.
Lawrence
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 14, 2007 3:58:34 AM]
[Jan 14, 2007 3:58:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

In an other post.... "to help HCMD along with it's very low weight in the distribution, u can select it as the only project for the UD agent. That's what i've done on the 2 threads that run this!"

As for the system weight, momentarily it takes 3mb RAM, Topped at 7.5mb and uses 7.5MB VM. This is for sure the lightest project i've seen coming along, thus any machine with the minium CPU speed can handle it without u even noticing it's there...... Really Really!

WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 14, 2007 7:34:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cio_redulla
Advanced Cruncher
Philippines
Project Badges:

In an other post.... "to help HCMD along with it's very low weight in the distribution, u can select it as the only project for the UD agent. That's what i've done on the 2 threads that run this!"

As for the system weight, momentarily it takes 3mb RAM, Topped at 7.5mb and uses 7.5MB VM. This is for sure the lightest project i've seen coming along, thus any machine with the minium CPU speed can handle it without u even noticing it's there...... Really Really!

Too bad I can't run HCMD this time. I removed the UD agent in my computer and I'm too tired to re-install it. By the way Sek, is there any chance I can run two instances of the UD agent at the same time in Windows?

[Jan 14, 2007 5:07:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

It can, but it is unsupported and because it is not designed to be aware of 2 simultaneous UD agents, exposed to corruption. U can run though one thread with UD agent and a second with BOINC using the CPU core (affinity) assignment.
[Jan 14, 2007 5:30:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'll ask the techs if HCMD can be masked on the BOINC profiles, to avoid this confusion.

It would be a good idea to propagate the information up to the top (obvious) levels of the site too, or to remove reference to HCMD altogether. I came here and downloaded the default (BOINC) software purely because someone told me about the HCMD project. For that purpose, it was a waste of time. Having a description page which says that BOINC won't be able to participate until phase 2 is also rather unhelpful when there's no indication of when that might be. It shouldn't be necessary for someone to read 90% of the main site and a significant proportion of the forum pages before they get any details about why the software isn't doing what you'd expect and why it won't do so for something like the next 7 months.
[Jan 15, 2007 4:57:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Welcome to WCG Kremmen,

I just did a dummy registration and found that the default Software pre-ticked is the UD Agent, which runs all projects. I don't know if the download page senses if an enrolling member is running Linux or MAC i.e. pre-ticks these options, but BOINC sits at the very bottom of the download page. The System Requirement Page does say HCMD is not available on Linux and Mac, nor on BOINC for windows. The link to that is right margin of the Join page.

Sort of hindsight, but point taken.... we learn from experience. What happened to HCMD was a very late, just before X-mas launch. The original intend was to launch together or close to the Decrypthon Telethon on Dec.8 on both UD & BOINC. Was technically impossible.... late bugs. Then is was said the 1st phase was very small and a hiatus was needed of several months to study first results and tune. Then, the lead scientist of HCMD advised also of absence for a number of months for personal reasons. Then, the major system problems developed before x-mas in blizzards and storm, distracting everyone from regular activities... then there was a 14 days holiday season after a year of very hard work and everyone being able to continue crunching, allowed by tireless efforts of the technicians.

cheers and happy crunching for a healthier world.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jan 15, 2007 10:41:23 AM]
[Jan 15, 2007 10:36:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GWG
Cruncher
AUSTRALIA
Project Badges:

Hello cio_redulla,
I wonder when they will be rolling out Phase 2 of HCMD.

This is explained in the Member News announcement of Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=10647
This project is slightly different than most of our other projects in that what we are launching is only Phase 1 of a larger project. We anticipate that Phase 1 will run for approximately 2 months. Then the researchers will examine the results in preparation for running Phase 2, which will run for a significantly longer period of time. Early estimates are that Phase 2 may start around August of 2007. Because Phase 1 runs for such a short time, we did not expend the resources required to run the project on both the UD and BOINC platforms. Thus, we are running Phase 1 using only the UD agent and will run Phase 2 on UD and BOINC. We know that this may disappoint some members who run BOINC but we hope that you can understand that preparing the software for a project takes two to three months and when the project (Phase 1) is only 2 months long, it doesn’t make sense to run the project on all platforms.

Lawrence

Since UD isn't being maintained, and doesn't work too well an Win platforms, why not forget about it: its passé! Go straight to BOINC.

George
---------

George W Gerrity
Mb: +61 429 400 912
Campbell, ACT 2612
Australia

[Jan 16, 2007 1:54:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I just did a dummy registration and found that the default Software pre-ticked is the UD Agent, which runs all projects. [...] The System Requirement Page does say HCMD is not available on Linux and Mac, nor on BOINC for windows.

I'm running it on a Linux box. (Wouldn't dream of putting something useful on a Windoze machine.)

The system requirement page says "The Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy project is not available for Linux in Phase I, but will be available in Phase II." As a new person to the site, this is meaningless. I didn't know when the page was written. I didn't know when phase I or phase II might be. The page doesn't say and doesn't give any links to anywhere which might.

Neither the Project FAQ not the Agent FAQ for HCMD say anything about the Linux agent not working for it. I guess the pictures on the Agent FAQ page are of the UD agent. ... Of course, having never seen it, I don't really know, and as I'm never planning to run a graphical agent, I just assumed it was irrelevant. After all, they don't say what agent they are pictures of.
[Jan 16, 2007 1:04:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi,

I have unfortunatly the same problem. Does anybody know if (and when) HCMD will work on BOINC ?

What is the reason that its not on BOINC ?
[Jan 21, 2007 10:11:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread