Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 251 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sub-teams

I have been an active WCG memeber for about 8 months now and am committed to getting others also running WCG. I am currently a college student and have been trying to get my friends to use WCG as well. One thing that I think could go far for college students being more active on WCG would be to have teams corresponding to their school (I started a team for my college - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) and sub-teams within that college team. I know that a lot more people would sign under their college's team and other teams for that matter if teams could be further broken down under that original team. Anyone know of a way to create sub-teams or who to contact to get this implemented? Thanks!!
[Feb 4, 2007 10:39:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: sub-teams

We have this on our development list but it's not hight on the priority list. Maybe there's a work around that someone can suggest.
[Feb 5, 2007 3:25:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I think it would be a good addition to the team process because I know that it could go far in bolstering more college support perhaps because college's could have competitions with others or within itself (an idea I have for sparking more people at my school to sign up). Competitions as in between class years (for accumulated points, members signed up, whatever have you) or even dorms or majors at schools.

I know that I have talked with some people at my school and if possible to create sub-teams within the team I created for my college, through different organizations at my school it could be possible to create a "competition" for students to spark them to join from my school. I think this idea for any "big" team is a good one. It is helpful in getting people signed up for a worthy/noble cause that once they join, there should be not much of a reason for them to quit once a "competition" or whatever could come from sub-teams ends.

I was just recently a co-op at IBM in Poughkeepsie, NY for the last 6 months and became involved with WCG then. I talked with a few people there about this idea to try to get it implemented, but I ran out of time when my co-op ended. I would really like to see this happen, so any contacts to whom could help or I could talk to about this is appreciated! Thanks!
[Feb 6, 2007 3:48:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The only one doable presently, suggested before on these fora, to create a member with the sub-team name and register all devices to that account. Each device carries the desired name of the sub-team member. For BOINC it's important the machine is given the name one wishes to appear in the result stats, prior to registering the device. For UD Agent the name can be changed any time.

This comes with jeopardy....who manages the sub-team account and the password and who's going to post on the fora and not create a confusion about the person(s) behind the sub-team account. For housekeeping, a captain should be assigned for the management and the members should each create and account for posting, but those would not have a device attached.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Feb 6, 2007 8:12:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TKH
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:
smile Re: sub-teams

Hello Jestey,

Please consider having someone from the university contact us to become a partner. The ability to create multiple teams is already an active feature for partners.

Here is an example of Austin Community College and their multiple teams: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/vi...;pageNum=1&selectBox=

Just have the university contact us here:http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewBecomePartner.do

Thanks!
[Feb 7, 2007 9:07:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread