Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1050 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
When can I reboot my PC ?

Hello.

I'm a newbie blushing I just downloaded the software last night and I let my computer on all night and all day long. I was happy on the morning when my first project was over and a second one was running.

But I would like to know when I can turn off or reboot my computer without loosing the work already done.

I read this post. They said a checkpoint is written every 10 mn. Is that true for every project done ?
If I turn my computer off for the night, will the software continue the same project or load a new one on the day after ?
What if I leave for 2 weeks for holidays ? Wouldn't it be interesting to have a box to tick with "Close at the end of this project" ?

Thank you for answering my questions ! smile
[Mar 16, 2007 1:48:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: When can I reboot my PC ?

[Mar 16, 2007 2:09:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well ! I got te answer of the first question :
"They said a checkpoint is written every 10 mn. Is that true for every project done ?"
No, it is not :
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...=11332&offset=0#84461

But who can answer to the two last questions ?
[Mar 16, 2007 2:10:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It will restart from the last check point written to the hard drive.
[Mar 16, 2007 2:23:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Actually just reviewed a checkpoint log for GC jobs on 2 different systems. The frequency seems pretty much independent of CPU speed and does save so every 20 minutes. Have accordingly amended the above referenced post in the 'Start Here' forum.

If u properly close down the system, best first exiting the agent, than follow the OS shutdown routine rather than the power switch, the loss of work progress should be limited.

The job that was in progress will be resumed from the last checkpoint saved before closing.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 16, 2007 2:26:21 AM]
[Mar 16, 2007 2:24:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It will continue the same project when you turn it back on. If you are gone for two weeks and have the computer turned off it will keep the same project, but depending on which agent you are using, it may be over due if on BOINC, but I think there is a three week window on UD.

Cheers

Sgt.Joe

Minnesota Crunchers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Mar 16, 2007 2:25:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Deadlines:

The deadlines vary as the ones controlling the distribution are playing with the number to optimize the use of the BOINC buffer function:

For BOINC the initial distribution deadline is presently 9 days for most all jobs. For extra copies it can be 1-4 days depending on urgency (they go automatically to 'reliable' regular clients).

Late returns can result in credit, but are waste because right on the original deadline a new copy is send out to someone else, thus duplicating work. If the extra copy is back before the original being returned late, no credit is given.

Time-Out for UD is 3 weeks wall-clock (seen in main page of agent) or 2 weeks CPU time, which ever comes first. There is a longer grace of 2 months from original dispatch..... yes UD crunchers who process very infrequent do occasionally take that long. It used to be 3 months, but that was cut down in early 2007 to free-up disk space and speed up batch completion.

Thus is the present standing on deadlines that i know off.

As for as shut down after a project completion, that has been discussed before on this forum. It's not build in on the BOINC developers wishlist, page 99 and absolutely low priority...... it's a case of very low demand. You can use a third party scheduler and anyway, once a job is finished, BOINC uses little to nothing in RAM space and zero in CPU time.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 16, 2007 12:39:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread