Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1941 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
realracer2
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help Defeat Cancer.

I just started on the cancer research on Boinc, I am not sure that I want to continue on other programs, as I am only interested in cancer research. I may go back to Seti on all of my computers. I was on United Devices for cancer research, but just switched to to boinc. I hope that cancer research returns to Boinc soon.
[Mar 20, 2007 5:46:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Help Defeat Cancer.

i believe that the other crunching projects may have a future bearing on cancer (and other biological 'problems').

i think the current cancer project is only to detect and classify existing cancer cases more quickly by having a database. it has not been aimed at a cure.

stay around a while and see what happens smile
[Mar 20, 2007 7:07:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi realracer2,

Pity you arrived so late in the game, BUT, indirectly several other projects at WCG touch on the disease.... read up and consider to join those with BOINC.

Stay in touch as Cancer crunching will return to WCG!!!!!!
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 20, 2007 7:11:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I am only interested in cancer research. I may go back to Seti on all of my computers

I'd really like to understand what Seti has to do with cancer research.
[Mar 20, 2007 7:46:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
realracer2
Cruncher

Seti has nothing to do with cancer research, but it was the first project that brought together computers to search for a common goal that lead to other research, such as cancer research.

I have personnel reasons for only wanting to participate in cancer research. While other projects in the World Community Grid may be worthwhile, they hold no interest for me.
[Mar 20, 2007 11:37:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The Human Proteome Folding project will help with your specific area of interest as well as others (see below):

The Human Proteome Folding project will provide scientists with data that predicts the shape of a very large number of human proteins. These predictions will give scientists the clues they need to identify the biological functions of individual proteins within the human body. With an understanding of how each protein affects human health, scientists can develop new cures for human diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, SARS, and malaria.
[Mar 21, 2007 12:17:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
realracer2
Cruncher

The Human Proteome Folding project will help with your specific area of interest as well as others (see below):

The Human Proteome Folding project will provide scientists with data that predicts the shape of a very large number of human proteins. These predictions will give scientists the clues they need to identify the biological functions of individual proteins within the human body. With an understanding of how each protein affects human health, scientists can develop new cures for human diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, SARS, and malaria.

Thanks, I was not aware of this.
[Mar 21, 2007 12:33:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Genome Comparison also may indirectly lead to advances in cancer research.
[Mar 21, 2007 1:51:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
realracer2
Cruncher

Thanks, I guess I need to do more reading on all of the projects to find out their benefits.
[Mar 21, 2007 2:12:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread