Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2182 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
pluczka
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Grid Refugee Can't Connect

Just joined after several years with Grid.org.

Installed Windows client but can't overcome following: "Unable to connect with the Grid Server. Please try again. If you are using a proxy server, please verify the settings with your network adminstrator."

Had been using UD Monitor with Grid, but deleting it didn't help.

Machine is ThinkPad T40 with 1G RAM running XP Pro with Norton SystemWorks, and MS Windows Defender. All are up to date. Comm is via 56K modem. Created WCG device profile, but it doesn't appear in Device Manager.

Thanks for any help.
Paul
[Apr 27, 2007 9:55:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Grid Refugee Can't Connect

I think you are using the UD.EXE version, and I assume that you deinstalled the grid.org UD.EXE and installed the WCG UD.EXE

UDMonitor is only an add-on to swap caches in and out. The directory that contains UD.EXE (whichever one) is still what gets uploaded/downloaded at that point in time.

There is one twiddle of difference when running UDMonitor. Start it with the WCG BAT file. Otherwise, everything is the same.

If you are playing with proxy servers, it must have port 443 open to upload results. Downloads come in via port 80.

On the other hand, it could just be an anomaly that can happen when statistics are being gathered.
----------------------------------------
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Apr 27, 2007 10:20:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pluczka
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks retsof. Still baffled though. All grid.org versions of UD.EXE are gone. Yet the WCG agent, which I've removed and reinstalled several times over the last several hours, still won't connect. Plus the device I've set up several times with Device Manager still doen't show up. There is no proxy and my browser is IE7.

The "Member Name" and "Give this Grid Agent a name" fields on my WCG Grid Agent Registration form default to my old grid.org entries, which I manually correct to no avail.
[Apr 28, 2007 7:32:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

If the registration defaults to the grid.org data, there must still be something lingering.

I still have both agents on the machine, but explicitly ensured they were placed in separate directories.

Did you visit Grid.org's uninstall they put up? http://www.grid.org/uninstall.htm

Is there a UD legacy screensaver in the Windows Program Directory?

Did you boot to clean the memory, before installing the WCG Agent? Download the real article here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/bg/WorldCommunityGridAgent.exe
How do I uninstall the Grid.org Agent?

You can remove the Agent from your machine by simply uninstalling the software through the "Add or Remove Programs" functionality in the Control Panel.

First, exit the agent. If the Agent's window is open, click on the downward pointing triangle in the bottom right hand corner. Then right-mouse-click on the icon in the system tray and click on Exit. The icon will disappear.

Next, uninstall the software by going to "Start" -> "Settings" -> "Control Panel" -> "Add or Remove Programs." In that list, locate the "United Devices Agent" and click "Remove" and follow the instructions on your screen.

This will completely uninstall the Agent from your computer. There were no third-party applications installed when you installed the software.

Troubleshooting
Question: After uninstalling the Agent, there are still files left in "C:\Program Files\United Devices."
Answer: After uninstalling the Agent, there is a possibility that there are still files remaining in the folder "C:\Program Files\United Devices." You can safely delete the directory "C:\Program Files\United Devices" and all its contents at this point.

Question: I still have the Agent running on my computer but I don't see the line "United Devices Agent" in the "Add or Remove Programs" section of the Control Panel, or there was an error when running the "Remove" option from the "Add or Remove Programs" section.
Answer: If you do not see the line "United Devices Agent" in the "Add or Remove Programs" section of the Control Panel, or the uninstall action failed, you can remove the Agent from your computer by simply deleting the folder "C:\Program Files\United Devices" and all its contents from your hard drive.

Question: After uninstalling the Agent, there are still shortcuts and/or icons present in my Start Menu and/or Desktop.
Answer: If you still see shortcuts and/or icons anywhere on your computer after you've uninstalled the Agent, you can safely delete these icons and/or shortcuts manually.

Question: I still find Registry Entries relating to the Agent in my Registry after uninstalling.
Answer: You can use third-party tools such as WinDoctor or any other registry cleaning software to remove stale links. Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. UD does not take responsibility for any problems resulting from modifications to the registry. Use the information provided at your own risk.

WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 28, 2007 8:01:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pluczka
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks Sekerob, but still no luck.

I did uninstall the Grid.org agent per their instructions, including all registry entries. No old screensaver either. Also uninstalled the WCG agent several times, rebooted and then reinstalled it to no avail.

As for the registration defaults, the Member Name field actually defaults the user name by which the OS knows me, while the "Give this Grid Agent a name" field defaults the Domain (this computer) by which the OS knows the machine. Is this normal? (It's what it did at Grid.org.)

Also, I registered the same member name and password with WCG as I had with Grid.org. Might that be the problem?
[Apr 29, 2007 1:55:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

A Vista user just reported Windows Defender as a causer of issues. Think also the Norton package has caused problems in past. Tried to switch off the securities one by one? Did you open port 443 outward to the WCG website / servers on IP 129.33.89.133 + 134 ?

If reverting back to grid.org (not there anymore), there must still be a legacy item. Presume you installed the UD agent to C:\Program Files\World Community Grid\. On 1 machine had both agents and each one used to work flawless without incurring effects from the other.

Have a look if there is still that xxxx2814.dll lurking somewhere in your Windows OS dir or it's subdirectories.

Yes, those default coming from the PC info are fine.

Same user name/password is positively no issue.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 29, 2007 6:58:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pluczka
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks again Sekerob, but still can't connect.

Created a "General Rule" and "Program Control" in Norton AV to open Ports 80 and 443 to the WCG servers. Nogo

Temporarily disabled Windows Defender and Norton individuially and then simultaneously. Nogo

The agent is in C:\Program Files\World Community Grid\ and the WCG UD screensaver in C:\Windows\

And there is no dll that includes the string "2814".
[Apr 30, 2007 7:12:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If the UD agent will not go for you, why not try BOINC?
[Apr 30, 2007 7:26:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

biggrin
My own favored tactic - if BOINC does not work - try UD. If UD does not work - try BOINC.

Lawrence
[Apr 30, 2007 10:18:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Plus the device I've set up several times with Device Manager still doen't show up.

If you registered several devices, did you say you were already a member, so the devices would all be associated with the same membername?

You may or may not have been around long enough for this "gotcha":
The default to display devices is only a couple of weeks, at least for the UD.EXE devices. Change the picklist display to all devices ever registered and all devices that ever returned results. Any old devices should then show up.

THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY DUPLICATE DEVICE NAMES. If there are, they can cause problems. Change an unused device to "OLD-DEVICE-001" or anything that doesn't match what you are currently using.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Apr 30, 2007 7:16:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread