Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 837 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ellenm
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
System Shutdown and Profile Questions

I just joined the grid yesterday and don't quite understand how best to set my profile. My system is normally only on M-F during normal work hours. I see that I can set a custom schedule, but it looks like that applies to all days selected. It doesn't appear that I can indicate the system is always off on Saturday and Sunday. What's the best way to set it for my situation? Also, what happens if I shut down my system while a task is running? Is the work saved and does it continue when I turn on again or is it all lost? I left my system on last night as I didn't want to take the chance. Thanks.
[Jan 11, 2005 2:27:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: System Shutdown and Profile Questions

smile Hi ellenm

Please follow these instructions for #1

Custom Schedule
You can specify the days and hours during which the Agent runs and communicates with other devices. The hours that you specify are in the local time zone that is set on your computer. These modifications are displayed in the Custom Schedule fields. To customize the Agent’s schedule, go to your device profile on the WorldCommunityGrid.org Members Web site. Click Member Services > Device Manager > Profiles, and then click the selected profile name. You can modify the days and hours of the Agent’s schedule in the My Computing Schedule section.
Days of the Week. Displays the days of the week to which a custom schedule is applied. All other days use the default preference to run all day and connect to the Grid servers at any time. The running and connection times must be contiguous blocks (for example, 8 A.M. to 5 P.M., not 8 A.M. to 12 P.M. and 1 P.M. to 5 P.M.).
Execution Times. Displays a custom schedule for the hours that the Agent runs. The hours that you specify are in the local time zone that is set on your computer.

Connection Times. Displays a custom schedule for the hours that the Agent connects to the grid servers. The hours that you specify are in the local time zone that is set on your computer.
Save.

Question #2
You can close down your System in the normal way
When you restart tomorrow the Agent will continue from where it left off before you closed down your system
You will not lose any work completed so far on your current work unit

I hope this puts your mind at rest

Regards
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 11, 2005 2:49:40 PM]
[Jan 11, 2005 2:49:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
cool Re: System Shutdown and Profile Questions

It sounds as though you do not need to set a profile. The default profile is just to run while the CPU is on. The fact that you do not expect to run the computer on Saturday and Sunday does not mean that you have to set the Profile for that.

The program regularly writes to a check point file on the hard disk. When you shut down, the last check point is where the program will start from, so you will lose only several minutes of computation.

Incidentally, the screen saver installed on your computer is only needed if you have checked the "Run Only As Screen Saver" box in the Agent Preferences screen. Otherwise you can select Blank or any other screen saver.

Best Wishes,
Lawrence
[Jan 11, 2005 3:19:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ellenm
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: System Shutdown and Profile Questions

Thanks to Graham and Lawrence for your quick replies and setting me straight.

Ellen
[Jan 11, 2005 4:08:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread