Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 724 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
justakiwibird
Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
A couple of boinc on linux questions

I'm running the FightAids@Home project with boinc on Fedora Core 6 but I have a couple of issues.

Firstly, I'm currently running my last two work units (dual core processor) but I'm not getting any new work. If I force an update I get a "not requesting new work or reporting results" message. Is it just me or is this an issue today?

Secondly, I'm running this on my laptop which is sharing a dial up internet connection with my Windows machine (gateway). For some weird reason whenever boinc is running on my laptop I'm seeing constant network/internet activity, even when it's NOT doing a send/receive. I've run boinc before, on several different machines and I've never seen this before. The Windows machine is also running boinc (different project) and does not display this behaviour. Is this a WCG thing and if so, what is it doing to cause this constant network activity? It makes no sense to me. confused
----------------------------------------

[Jul 13, 2007 10:14:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: A couple of boinc on linux questions

If you see the message "not requesting new work or reporting results", then it is because BOINC thinks you don't need any extra work right now. You can change your preferences so that BOINC queues more work - this will be especially useful with your dialup connection).

The network activity is almost certainly the communication between the BOINC Manager and the core client. This is perfectly normal. It is RPC on localhost port 31416, and it doesn't require an Internet connection. The communications don't leave your computer, but because it is using the sockets interface sometimes it shows up as network activity. Some over-zealous firewalls will actually try to block it.

So, it's not a BOINC thing, it's a network card thing. Weird, but there you go....
[Jul 13, 2007 11:48:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

I'm wondering whether your BOINC profile (default,home,school or work) is set too low. The default is only 0.1 days between network connections, which is only 2.4 hours worth of work. Your queue would probably drain completely before getting any more.

BOINC 5.8 and up have changed the scheduler somewhat, but you should be able to set up to 2.5 days or so between network connections. Mine is running smoothly at that number and usually sends one or two workunits when one or two is sent in. How many others are waiting depends on that number and how many your computer is estimated to complete.

The WCG estimates are fairly close. Some projects have estimates 1000% or more higher than how much they actually use, and don't change when BOINC runs some and is supposed to "learn" and improve them. Those projects are difficult to mix with others, because they hog the whole queue for 1 workunit.

If the number is set much higher, the very complex scheduler seems to bust a gut. It will then revert to draining the queue again completely before downloading more. This seems counterintuitive, but that's what happens.

Forcing an update doesn't accomplish anything unless you have a finished workunit to report or you have made this or some other change to your profile that it needs to know about. Otherwise, the change will always be picked up when the next workunit is sent in.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 1 times, last edit by retsof at Jul 13, 2007 11:56:54 PM]
[Jul 13, 2007 11:51:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
justakiwibird
Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

If you see the message "not requesting new work or reporting results", then it is because BOINC thinks you don't need any extra work right now. You can change your preferences so that BOINC queues more work - this will be especially useful with your dialup connection).

The network activity is almost certainly the communication between the BOINC Manager and the core client. This is perfectly normal. It is RPC on localhost port 31416, and it doesn't require an Internet connection. The communications don't leave your computer, but because it is using the sockets interface sometimes it shows up as network activity. Some over-zealous firewalls will actually try to block it.

So, it's not a BOINC thing, it's a network card thing. Weird, but there you go....

I'll re-check my preferences (stats are updating right now so I can't get to them). I can't remember what I set them to.

Re the network activity, I'm seeing both LAN AND internet activity on the host machine. I understand what you're saying about boinc manager and boinc communicating, but if that doesn't leave my machine, why am I even seeing it on the host machine? I'm not worried about LAN activity - it's seeing the internet connection constantly "busy" that bothers me. Plus the firewall on the host machine is also showing constant activity (whatever is happening is obviously covered by one of my allow rules as I'm not seeing anything being blocked). The other thing I don't understand is why this is only happening on my laptop. As I said earlier, the host machine also runs boinc but it's not showing this same activity (tested that by shutting boinc down on the laptop).
If the firewall is showing "allowed" transmission, surely that must meant "something" is actually getting out/coming in? BTW, I don't have boinc manager running all the time on the laptop anyway, I start it manually if I want to check stuff, so it shouldn't be communicating with boinc anyway ... or am I missing something?

[Jul 14, 2007 12:48:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I told you it was weird.

But if you want to check it more closely, you can always check with WireShark.

If I remember correctly, the firewall that has problems with this is ZoneAlarm. Are you using ZoneAlarm? If so, you can write off the "activity" as bogus.

Here's what's happening: BOINC uses the loopback address. It's just like sending stuff over the Internet, but it doesn't leave your machine. However, it seems that different network drivers catch the local packets at different stages. Your rather complicated network setup may affect this, too. I'm trying to remember how Windows Internet Connection Sharing handles this.

Sorry, I'm too tired. I'll research it for you tomorrow, if you want.
[Jul 14, 2007 1:04:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
justakiwibird
Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I'm wondering whether your BOINC profile (default,home,school or work) is set too low. The default is only 0.1 days between network connections, which is only 2.4 hours worth of work. Your queue would probably drain completely before getting any more.

BOINC 5.8 and up have changed the scheduler somewhat, but you should be able to set up to 2.5 days or so between network connections. Mine is running smoothly at that number and usually sends one or two workunits when one or two is sent in. How many others are waiting depends on that number and how many your computer is estimated to complete.

I just checked my preferences and I have it set to connect every 3 days. I would have thought that would have been about right for a dial up connection. Do you think I should increase that or reset the project in order to force a fetch?

[Jul 14, 2007 1:31:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

If I remember correctly, the firewall that has problems with this is ZoneAlarm. Are you using ZoneAlarm? If so, you can write off the "activity" as bogus.

I'm using ZoneAlarm on the Win98 system and it works fine. If there's a new release or something, I just say "allow" when it asks about the BOINC behaviour. It never bothers me again.

Let's see what it says over there in program control:
BOINC Client has trusted access and internet access
BOINC Manager for Windows has trusted access
BOINC Screensaver has trusted access

That seems clear enough.

Don't increase the network connect. 3 is about the max, and I have dropped back to 2.5. 4.5 is definitely too much.

If it is set too high, it will finish everything. It will then download more in chuncks of up to 10, separated by the 5 minute wait time for each chunk.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 3 times, last edit by retsof at Jul 14, 2007 1:54:36 AM]
[Jul 14, 2007 1:40:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
justakiwibird
Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

I told you it was weird.

But if you want to check it more closely, you can always check with WireShark.

Here's what's happening: BOINC uses the loopback address. It's just like sending stuff over the Internet, but it doesn't leave your machine. However, it seems that different network drivers catch the local packets at different stages. Your rather complicated network setup may affect this, too. I'm trying to remember how Windows Internet Connection Sharing handles this.

Sorry, I'm too tired. I'll research it for you tomorrow, if you want.

I do believe you, I'm just one of those annoying types who needs to understand everything wink

I'm using Kerio (the latest free version which was, in my humble opinion, the best) on the Windows machine which is rules based. I do have a loopback rule set to "allow" so that would no doubt explain the firewall activity.

I won't worry about it anymore. Many thanks for the explanation.

[Jul 14, 2007 1:53:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Although Justakiwibird has been with us since early 2006, the default for new members has been for a while now 0.3 days i.e. 7.2 hours buffering (early 2007). This was done so members could continue to crunch even with longer server outages. Typically that would happen during Sunday Maintenance Run, but last few weeks has been good.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jul 14, 2007 4:40:03 AM]
[Jul 14, 2007 4:35:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
justakiwibird
Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Well, the lack of work has resolved itself. One of the two current work units just completed and new work is now downloading. I'm wondering if perhaps the fact that I'm not always online when boinc wants to connect to the server is messing with the "connect every 3 days" preference setting. Especially given that the laptop can't force a connection on the host machine. (I realise it's possible to let it do that but I've never managed to get it to work properly - it would force a connection but couldn't disconnect the host machine)

Anyway, work is on it's way so all is well again. Thanks for your help everyone smile

[Jul 14, 2007 4:59:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread