Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 629 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
thejerm
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
processor use

I noticed once this project came online a huge spike in processor use on my Xserve... Is this normal and/or expected?

I am running BOINC on OS X 10.4.11 server with 2 x 2.0 dual xeon. When I am running DDDT, FA@H, or HPF2 the processor usage is < 25% but with HCC it runs around 80%.
[Nov 28, 2007 2:36:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: processor use

Hello thejerm,
There are numerous threads about HCC performance.
How do you keep the other projects from running at 100%? We need more information about what you are seeing.

Lawrence
[Nov 28, 2007 2:56:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thejerm
Cruncher
Project Badges:

In the BOINC advance view the preferences are set to use at most 4 processors and to use at most 85% CPU time. I don't know of any project specific CPU configs unless I missed something. I noticed the increase CPU used only when computing HCC.

Jerm
[Nov 28, 2007 6:05:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Someone on MAC reported that the priority level was different, but cant remember if that was HCC related?

And no, there is no way to control individual science % for the CPU. What other suspicion is that the HCC job actually, because of the different priority starves the other sciences. The only case i know this has happened is if running BOINC concurrent with the old WCG agent and only for the HCMD and HPF2 projects. So if 4 are running concurrent, are the others getting their portion?
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 28, 2007 6:25:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread