Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 671 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Viktors
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Agent not running alert needed?

The UD software has no provision for waking up and showing an unsolicited message. We are able to send a message to specific agents, but only if they are running enough to actually contact the server. If the user happens to open his agent, he will see a message to click at the bottom of the agent window which will bring up the message we sent. If they are running enough to see this message, then they are most likely running ok. The users that are not running probably have either uninstalled their agent or lost the link in the startup folder, or have a firewall rule in place which will not let the agent communicate with the server and run. Thus the only way we would have to get these people back on would be to email them.

But, many users have reinstalled their agents multiple times on the same machine, and sometimes under new member id names. These old agent devices will be dormant forever and there is no way to get them active again because the internal id key the end user had, is lost. So if we start emailing these people, it might annoy them, especially if they are actually still running under a new installation. Thus, I would not be inclined to implement this, at least with the current software.
[Mar 1, 2005 9:35:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Viktors,

Nobody ever suggested you would wake dormant systems and send unsolicited messages (even if anyone suspected that such could be done, which nobody implied!). If you interpret it THAT way, you must be utterly cynical, which I'm sure is NOT the case.

But I don't see why you would NOT email them... Asking for a bit of clarification isn't rude, since they already showed their commitment by JOINING the WCG. Just abandoning them without any sign of commitment from the grid to them seems even MORE rude, actually!

Actually, the rudeness and intrusion mostly depends on the words you use and the reason you give for asking. If you show concern and that you CARE for what happens to people who have expressed their preparedness to HELP you (for goodness sake!!), I'd expect most of them to HONOR you for showing to have a HEART!

You could even offer them, that if they are already crunching under a new name, that you add any achievements of their old installations to thier new one, if they provide you with sufficient information. I think you SHOULD be able to do that, even if you had to write a special application for it! And those members would not have a reason for being cross with you, either! In stead they might be grateful that you at least made an EFFORT! And that goes a long way PR-wise.

After all, where would this grid be, and how much work would it get done if it weren't for all the volunteers who offered you their computers' spare cycles??? Doesn't that mean ANYTHING to you guys??

I would be insulted if my absense was so carelessly ignored, UNLESS I had signed off by choice. But I would not have done so without a message to the team I was last crunching for.

But how about deleting members from teams if they have already left that team (and perhaps joined a different one) without returning any results for that first team? That would not hurt anyone, I think. It would only clean up a lot of useless Zeros. And I think such things should be easy to detect and take care of.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 1, 2005 10:31:35 PM]
[Mar 1, 2005 10:10:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

FreeBee,

We are going to take your suggestion about the Teams. We need to nail down exactly how we are going to do that, but we might be able to include something to address this in the next update.

We are looking further at the issue regarding the email being sent to users who haven't returned in a result in 30 days (or some number of days). As you indicated this needs to be done carefully to encourage users who have left return. We also have to make sure that the check box on the my profile page regarding World Community Grid sending emails is clear to all users.

Thanks for the suggestions!
[Mar 2, 2005 8:18:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FreeBee,

We are going to take your suggestion about the Teams. We need to nail down exactly how we are going to do that, but we might be able to include something to address this in the next update.

We are looking further at the issue regarding the email being sent to users who haven't returned in a result in 30 days (or some number of days). As you indicated this needs to be done carefully to encourage users who have left return. We also have to make sure that the check box on the my profile page regarding World Community Grid sending emails is clear to all users.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi knreed, (and all admins)

I couldn't have asked for more than that promise. And I hope that Ripcat and other users are just as satified with this reply as me.

I hope I wasn't coming on too strong in my previous message. I did NOT intend to insult anyone or get people upset. If I unintentionally *did*, I'd like to apologize.

Regards, FreeBee
[Mar 2, 2005 9:20:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I did NOT intend to insult anyone or get people upset.

Freebee -- no insult taken -- no need to apologize. I can assure you that the staff at WCG will find a way to notify folks in a very cordial manner.
[Mar 2, 2005 10:24:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I look forward to seeing e-mail alerts(or whatever you wish to call them) come online.

I certainly like to see the 'deadwood' removed from team lists too.

Thanks to everyone that supported the original idea and helped it evolve into something useful.

Ripcat
[Mar 2, 2005 11:04:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Agent not running alert needed?Iw

I would also like to see the number of installations corrected--as it shows that i have 6 installs running when i really only have 3 computers.working smile
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Mar 6, 2005 2:54:43 AM]
[Mar 6, 2005 2:52:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Agent not running alert needed?Iw

Marysduby,

Please be aware that we are working on correcting (or allowing members to correct) the number of device installations. Keep in mind that we've got a lot on our plate - suggestions from WCG itself as well as the myriad of member suggestions.

Keep the suggestions coming, and we'll keep implementing them as fast as we can.

Nels
[Mar 7, 2005 1:42:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread