Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 863 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Separating schools and companies from home users

My apologies if this subject has been brought up before. But has WCG considered separating schools and companies from home users in the total points/results/run-time categories?

I don't see how you can put a university or company with dozens, maybe even hundreds of computers on the grid, in the same "member" category as home users who may have only one or two machines.

Maybe it's too late to implement a separate scoring/ranking system for home users. But I thought I'd bring this up anyway.
[Apr 7, 2008 5:24:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Separating schools and companies from home users

Don't talk to WCG....talk to Boinc......
[Apr 7, 2008 5:28:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi Sierrabound,

Would individual members running dozens of company computers also fall into that category e.g.? I know many a member who have had the good fortune to be allowed to use their company resources to run BOINC or UD under their name. Should partners be maybe split off?

Just trying to better understand where this is coming from and seeing the perspective of where these segregations should start and end. Many small can and do unite in teams for competition and many more ideas are being considered to for the future.

cheers
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 7, 2008 5:39:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

WCG uses the term "member" in a very broad sense. Basically you have universities and companies running dozens of computers under a single user name. How can you lump those users in the same category as individuals running only a handful of machines at home?

I think separating schools and companies into different categories would foster more competition, which in turn would generate more results for science.

I don't see why this is such a radical concept. I noticed Poem@Home, for example, has separate categories for teams, companies and schools.
[Apr 7, 2008 5:50:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

probably those projects are beneficiaries of some BOINC specific development. They get the ready package from Berkeley. POEM being fairly new could easily hop on the bus with frequent updates at times and roll on with regular added features. Here we're suffering considerable from the UD agent legacy and once that still required ancient database gets chucked, lots of things will start to become possible, to mention not stopping access to one's personal page during statistics updates.

That said, each team can specify a type in their profile, that I think came from BOINC, but who's to act as juror for something being one or the other? Again, i see a bunch of 'members' who run serious farms who do not place in either the mentioned categories.... super members maybe?

Nothing is radical.... it will need implementation in this none-standard and for sure most complex of DC projects in existence with all it's 'past' other projects don't carry that much.

[Edit: I looked at this project mentioned and see no differnet stat lists but the standard of every BOIINC project:

* Top participants
* Top computers
* Top teams

Top computers is not probable here. The information is passed to BOINCstats for those members who did not select to hide their devices.]
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at Apr 7, 2008 6:54:48 PM]
[Apr 7, 2008 6:31:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I guess it would have to be based on the honor system. There could be a question asking users if they are participating as a company, school or home user. I realize four profiles are available to each user. But many people use those profiles to customize settings for each of their computers.

I think some individuals become discouraged because there is no way they can compete against the universities and companies with vast resources at their disposal. I realize the school and corporate contributions are valuable to research. But so are those of the home users.

Regarding Poem@Home, they do have sub-catagories for teams.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/team.php
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Apr 7, 2008 6:59:27 PM]
[Apr 7, 2008 6:55:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

Something else would have to be done in BOINC itself for that to make any sense. One of my computers uses the "school" profile. Well, actually the others use the default, home and work profiles.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Apr 7, 2008 7:20:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Regarding Poem@Home, they do have sub-catagories for teams.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/team.php

Correct, as what i mentioned WCG has that too in the Team profile definitions, but it does not exist anywhere for members/participants AFAIK. My team still got:

Type: Unclassified

(same as your team btw)
[Apr 7, 2008 7:28:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

My team too are under unclassified...

Could be Non Profit Organization or something like that... coffee
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Apr 8, 2008 1:03:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GIBA
Ace Cruncher

My team too are under unclassified...

Could be Non Profit Organization or something like that... coffee
Cheers ! GIB@ peace coffee
Join BRASIL - BRAZIL@GRID team and be very happy !
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=DF99KT5DN1

[Apr 8, 2008 1:03:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread