Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1131 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Underlying technologies?

What is going on in the layers under the nice rotating display on my screen? I think this question has two forks - one fork is a question about the computer technologies and the other fork is about protein folding.

In terms of computer technologies, what are we looking at here? How is the grid constructed? How do the pieces communicate? Windows .NET, web services, or other? What is a "folding" calculation? What additional processing is applied to results returned to the server? How many servers does it take to handle how many clients?

In terms of protein folding, what is the general idea? Why not just send in an origami expert and be done with it? What is a Rosetta? An Environment? A Pair? Once the protein is folded, what does one do with it?

Thanks.
[Nov 16, 2004 5:01:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:
Re: Underlying technologies?

In terms of protein folding, what is the general idea? Why not just send in an origami expert and be done with it? What is a Rosetta? An Environment? A Pair? Once the protein is folded, what does one do with it?

Thanks.

We have some pretty good information about this in the Projects Showcase - Human Proteome Folding Project

In that article, there are two additional links. One to a layman's explanation about what's going on and why. There is also a link to ISB's page on Human Proteome Folding and they have much more detailed information there.

I won't go into any technical details just yet. We may post information in the future which explains some of the technical details of the project.

- Rick Alther
----------------------------------------
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Nov 16, 2004 10:49:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
cool Re: Underlying technologies?

check out:
http://systemsbiology.org/Default.aspx?pagename=humanproteome

we've put together a website to describe a lot of what Rosetta is doing.
it is a jargon-free description. There are links to our papers for people who want refereed journal articles describing the algorithms as well.

IBM and UD have neeto web materials describing it as well.

thanks for joining
[Nov 17, 2004 5:35:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Underlying technologies?

check out:
http://systemsbiology.org/Default.aspx?pagename=humanproteome

we've put together a website to describe a lot of what Rosetta is doing.
it is a jargon-free description. There are links to our papers for people who want refereed journal articles describing the algorithms as well.

IBM and UD have neeto web materials describing it as well.

thanks for joining

I have a variant on this question, and a suggestion. I think there should be a link on the WTG agent Applications screen - the one that shows "Current Protein" - that specifically explains what we are seeing.

Here are some questions that link could explain or answer (I for one would love to know the answers!):
- is the rotating, folding protein shown the actual protein being analyzed on my computer?
- is the changing shape of the protein related to the actual analysis being done on my machine, or just some precalculated images that illustrate the general nature of the analysis?
- does the protein being analyzed on my machine have a name? a specific representation? is there a link to more information about this particular protein?
- what do the various colors denote?

The latter question is answered at
http://systemsbiology.org/Default.aspx?pagename=humanproteome#Aminoacid
but it's buried in a lot of other text, and when you find it, it is not unambiguously clear that this color representation is used beyond the context of this web page and applies to the WTG agent display

Likewise, the question of how the displayed image is related to the analysis being done on one's computer is left unclear by text in the same article. All I could find was:
"You can see the pictures of the partially folded proteins in the right half of the grid agent screen. "

The humanproteome web page is a great, non-technical introduction but I still think a specific explanation of what one sees in the "Current Protein" display would be good!
[Nov 19, 2004 7:26:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread