Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 379 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
duane534
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Disabling Unnecessary BOINC Processes

I'd like to get the most possible out of my computer's lowly AMD Sempron 3400+. I am currently running Windows on it. *flips back and forth about once every six months* I notice that there are three processes named boinc*.exe and one that appears to be a project running. Which ones can I disable to eliminate the bells and whistles and just let my computer work? If I want to see numbers, I'll check the web site.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by duane534 at Dec 18, 2008 8:08:12 AM]
[Dec 18, 2008 8:07:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Disabling Unnecessary BOINC Processes

If you installed BOINC as a service, then you don't need to run BOINC Manager (boincmgr.exe)

boinctray is only there for idle detection. You can remove that without qualms.

boinc.exe is the BOINC service itself.

If you didn't install BOINC as a service, you will need to reinstall to achieve that. Once the service is running, you can start and stop BOINC Manager to check on progress whenever you want.
[Dec 18, 2008 8:40:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
duane534
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Done. Thanks. I wish you didn't have to uninstall and reinstall to use as a service, though...
[Dec 18, 2008 8:52:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I recommend people install it that way the first time, but sadly it's not the default.
[Dec 18, 2008 8:57:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have mine installed as a service too

the thing is personaly i like looking at the projects and tinkering around with the setings so i normaly shut down the Boincmanager but restart it every 5-6 hours to meddle with the workings then shut the boinc manager down again

i really dont think those unnecesary processes take much of your power or energy to keep running personaly so i dont see what the need for the avarage cruncher to close them is.

[Dec 18, 2008 12:53:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

System Up 148 hours:

Boinctray time use: 0.062 seconds
Boinc core client: 7 minutes

Boincmgr GUI: 10 minutes

BoincView: 40 minutes

Why dabble?
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 18, 2008 1:04:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
duane534
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Because I only have access to two machines, and I had to overclock this one to get it over 2 GHZ.
[Dec 19, 2008 1:48:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

personaly you might find some other Windows or whatever programs that you could remove.. if Sekerob numbers are about avarage for all computers then that means less than 1% of the runtime in 148 hours was used by the other programs... so um your not gettin much but if its worth it to you please continue and show us your results and reasons once you find out . personaly i tinker with the program way to much to close down some of the controls i play with

[Dec 20, 2008 9:09:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread