Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 786 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
simons-photography.com
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
how ram used when set for use when idle

I could install boinc at work but I only have 480 MB of ram on my computer so idealy it can only run when the computer is idle, but how much ram is used when its just sitting idle waiting to kick in ?
[Jan 19, 2009 9:58:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:
Re: how ram used when set for use when idle

around 50MB if you "leave application in memory when idle"
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rilian at Jan 19, 2009 10:07:06 PM]
[Jan 19, 2009 10:06:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi, simons-photography.

It varies considerably depending on which project is running. With only 480 MB, I assume you have a single core CPU.

There is an option in your preferences labelled "Leave application in memory when suspended". This will let you completely unload the project from memory when you are using your computer, but it comes at a cost - work will restart from the last checkpoint, and you will lose a little progress. Generally, this setting doesn't work well if you keep stopping and starting.

Instead, I recommend you let the task remain in memory, but choose tasks that use very little memory. The project currently using least memory is Nutritious Rice for the World. Opt out of the others on your My Projects page.
[Jan 20, 2009 4:57:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
simons-photography.com
Cruncher

hm pity to think there is a better unused computer in another room (dual pentium 2 GB RAM) which I used to use, I got promoted in my job and demoted in computer power how darn stupid, I'll have to think on it as I use some cad viewing programs that as it is load slowly and I can't afford to waste time its just a pity how the darn thing idles most the day.

Edited for inappropriate language...cih
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 21, 2009 1:28:53 PM]
[Jan 21, 2009 6:46:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The RICE tasks would be ideal for you. Very low memory footprint, very frequent checkpointing, every few minutes, no need to set the Leave in Memory off. Configure a pause / resume time of for instance 10 minutes idle so it will only work when you are not at the keyboard / mouse. Of course, if your cad program is demanding BOINC will only use the spare cycles your cad is not using, whilst your are not at the system.

The 468mb implies a 512mb system. Talk to the IT guy for an upgrade if it can handle 1gb or more. The cost is truly minor like 15 Euro for a 1 gb strip and it could make your cad program to be substantially more responsive.

PS, don't know how easy older spec memory can be found. Saw in passing at a shop a 512mb strip for 4.95 Euro before X-mas.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jan 21, 2009 1:09:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
simons-photography.com
Cruncher

I'm not in a position to be demanding upgrades, I've just taken the job up although I've worked there before and they all know me IT guy included but as he is also the financial director and quality manager (and therefore my boss as I'm quality inspector and a busy man) I'd rather not ask at present, I may suggest latter we switch computers, as I'm on trial/training at the moment it might be a good idea to get rooted in before i make suggestions like that, later on I can point out that as the engineers update the drawings with their newer software I am forced to keep using the more momery hogging viewer versus the lighter but older one
[Jan 21, 2009 6:28:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
robertmiles
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

I could install boinc at work but I only have 480 MB of ram on my computer so idealy it can only run when the computer is idle, but how much ram is used when its just sitting idle waiting to kick in ?

I found that a combination of changes gave better results on my machine (originally 1 GB, but 2 CPU cores). First, install more RAM memory and then set the leave in memory option. See here for advice on what types of memory and how much memory your machine can handle:

http://www.crucial.com/

Note that if you're using a 32-bit operating system, such as the most versions of Windows, you can expect a limit of between 3 GB and 4 GB for how much memory your operating system allows you to use, in addition to whatever limit your machine can handle. 64-bit versions of operating systems have a much higher, but similar, limit on how much they can handle.

Let it scan your system to make the results specific to whatever model of machine you have. I was able to swap out to 2 GB of faster memory, the maximum my model of machine can handle; this cost me about $50 (US), but might cost more for someone who needed to pay someone else to swap the RAM memory.

Later, I found the Rosetta@home project even more memory-hungry and needed a few more changes; you might want to try if similar changes will help WCG on your machine, if you have plenty of free disk space but don't install any more RAM memory. First, increase the maximum disk space BOINC can use. Then increase the percentage of the swap space BOINC can use. You may or may not also need to increase the maximum disk space for the swap file; it depends on whether your operating system can do this automatically, without a fixed upper limit. This second round of changes, combined with the leave in memory option, made my machine more able to save the work since the last checkpoint by moving just part of it to the swap file, instead of eventually starting over from the last checkpoint.
[Jan 24, 2009 9:40:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
simons-photography.com
Cruncher

I found that a combination of changes gave better results on my machine (originally 1 GB, but 2 CPU cores). First, install more RAM memory and then set the leave in memory option. See here for advice on what types of memory and how much memory your machine can handle:

http://www.crucial.com/

Note that if you're using a 32-bit operating system, such as the most versions of Windows, you can expect a limit of between 3 GB and 4 GB for how much memory your operating system allows you to use, in addition to whatever limit your machine can handle. 64-bit versions of operating systems have a much higher, but similar, limit on how much they can handle.

Let it scan your system to make the results specific to whatever model of machine you have. I was able to swap out to 2 GB of faster memory, the maximum my model of machine can handle; this cost me about $50 (US), but might cost more for someone who needed to pay someone else to swap the RAM memory.

Later, I found the Rosetta@home project even more memory-hungry and needed a few more changes; you might want to try if similar changes will help WCG on your machine, if you have plenty of free disk space but don't install any more RAM memory. First, increase the maximum disk space BOINC can use. Then increase the percentage of the swap space BOINC can use. You may or may not also need to increase the maximum disk space for the swap file; it depends on whether your operating system can do this automatically, without a fixed upper limit. This second round of changes, combined with the leave in memory option, made my machine more able to save the work since the last checkpoint by moving just part of it to the swap file, instead of eventually starting over from the last checkpoint.

you obviously haven't been reading my posts, it is a work computer so I won't be buying ram for it and I cannot get an upgrade (we are after all in recession and I'm lucky to have the job at all) and the computer is "only" 2 years old although is obviously the cheapest thing that was going around 2 years ago. the other thing I have discovered is that I'm not set up as administrator so I can't install anything.

my own computer at home has 6 GB of RAM and boinc has free range to use both cores of my C2D E6300
[Jan 25, 2009 5:33:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread