Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 387 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
linux slower than windows?

Hello,
I use to crunch on different machines with different operating systems...I noticed that there is a big difference in speed between linux and windows.

Of course I was doing a comparison on the same machine, and tried few different linux distros (Ubuntu, Slackware).

Any explanation for that?
[Jan 26, 2009 10:30:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: linux slower than windows?

Hello cafeina,
The Linux 32 compiler seems to produce code that runs a little slower than the Windows compiler, at least in my opinion. However, running the Linux application on a Linux 64 system using the different library support package seems to speed up the application.

It is tricky to be certain of this since jobs vary so much. I put it down to the amount of time and money spent optimizing the compilers. More money is spent on Windows than on Linux.

All this is just my personal opinion.

Lawrence
[Jan 26, 2009 10:42:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hmm,
Surely there is less time spent on linux version than on windows version, but:

AFAIK, it is possible to have same speed if not better using linux compiler
Also, even if what you say about less optimized code is true, than it still doesn't explain such a huge difference (7h on windows against 12h on linux). I think there's more about it.
[Jan 26, 2009 11:12:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello cafeina,
For what project? I have run one CEP job in 15 hours and another in 57 hours on the same machine. Job sizes can vary a great deal. Wjich is why it is so hard for a user to estimate these things.

Lawrence
[Jan 26, 2009 11:16:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I've seen it in whatever project. I know that jobs can vary, but if I see many jobs that finish in about 7 hrs (for example hpf2) on windows and about 12 on linux, it seems not ok for me.
What I'm talking about is not a particular job, but almost all jobs I can see in the messages window in the boinc manager.
I observed this for quite some time and on different distros, and the result is always pretty much the same.
[Jan 26, 2009 11:41:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

You might have a look at this thread Much smaller performance under linux? for a few things to check.

Cheers. Jean.
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Jan 27, 2009 4:37:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'll try again and check few more things and will come back with the results.

Thanks for this pointer.
[Jan 27, 2009 9:17:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Nick-MMX
Advanced Cruncher

im curious, are the benchmark MIPS the same on both windows and linux on this machine? It might also have to do with daemons and services using up some of your runtime.
[Jan 27, 2009 1:47:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hmm, can't recall.....will check that too (I mean the MIPS figure).

As for the deamons and services, there are only few strictly necessary.
Also, one of my machines runs under Slackware, so it really is a good environment; in addition, I disabled few more services.
I'll come back with an exact list of daemons and servies runnning there.
[Jan 27, 2009 2:00:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread