Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1731 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Just posting a problem

I thought that this problem had been fixed

E000601_ 251A_ 002w62015_ 0-- Error 28/04/09 05:49:04 8/04/09 08:59:06 1.17 9.2 / 0.0
E000571_ 394A_ 006y7w006_ 0-- Error 27/04/09 16:45:35 28/04/09 13:15:14 4.22 28.7 / 0.0

<core_client_version>5.10.45</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
The system cannot write to the specified device. (0x1d) - exit code 29 (0x1d)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
Calling initGraphics()
INFO: No state to restore. Start from the beginning.
Encountered error. Exiting.

</stderr_txt>
]]>
[Apr 28, 2009 1:31:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Re: Just posting a problem

Upgrade to the latest Boinc Version!

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
[Apr 28, 2009 4:19:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Upgrade to the latest Boinc Version

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not going to upgrade to a version of Boinc that is not supported by WCG.
[Apr 28, 2009 8:16:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Upgrade to the latest Boinc Version

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not going to upgrade to a version of Boinc that is not supported by WCG.

Honestly, I don't think that the "(0x1d) - exit code 29 (0x1d)" problem is directly related to specific versions of Boinc, but if you want to try there is a version of Boinc which is not only supported by WCG but is actually recommended and it is 6.2.28.
And if you are not running under Windows you have 6.2.15 for Linux and 6.2.18 for Mac.

Cheers. Jean. smile
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Apr 29, 2009 9:00:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The bookies are still taking bets that 6.6.45 will be the release that WCG thinks has enough (critical) bugs fixed to be considered fit enough to get our skin and the prefix WCG_

The checkpointing control is still broken in 6.6.24. Set it to 5 minutes on a quad and you get 1 after 20 minutes, if the science app is ready to write one.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 29, 2009 9:06:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

The bookies are still taking bets that 6.6.45 will be the release that WCG thinks has enough (critical) bugs fixed to be considered fit enough to get our skin and the prefix WCG_

Hmm, maybe I've overlooked something, but isn't all the "critical" bugs still present in v6.6.25 also present in v6.2.28?

The checkpointing control is still broken in 6.6.24. Set it to 5 minutes on a quad and you get 1 after 20 minutes, if the science app is ready to write one.

It's not a bug, it's a feature... To better handle many tasks at once, the client will intentionally wait #cpu * "Write to disk at most every N seconds" before checkpointing.

Code for writing the checkpoint-info to the slots-directory has already been added, but most likely won't be released before in v6.8.xx. It's possible the multiplicaton with #cpu will be removed again then this new code is being used, but wouldn't expect any changes before.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Apr 29, 2009 3:03:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I put critical in brackets not in quotation, for what is deemed critical by one is not the same as what others think they are. Just now lost 6 jobs due another "non-critical" I suppose. Jobs orphaned off the 6.6.24 core client, through a replicatable action. Should I report it 'there' and find it again ignored?

Honestly, implementing this HA checkpoint feature is atrocious and whoever came up with the multiplicator of the preferred write times should have the kneecaps checked. You enter 300 seconds for a quad and you get checkpoints on the first after 1200 seconds have passed and the guy with the octo getting one every 2400 at most... that's potentially a few hours of crunch time gone out the window at soft boot time. Joe the cruncher really expects that behavior. Does not belong in a production release fanfared as recommended and a functioning the "computing for the masses" group is not expecting, I did not. Are they not getting that at Berkeley that halpha code should not be passed to production releases?

2 more para's of sprecato
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Apr 29, 2009 3:30:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
teletran
Senior Cruncher

Just to add to astrolab's report I got my first exit 29 error since the software update:

E000614_763A_003e6z00t

<core_client_version>6.2.28</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
The system cannot write to the specified device. (0x1d) - exit code 29 (0x1d)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
Calling initGraphics()
INFO: No state to restore. Start from the beginning.
Calling initGraphics()
Encountered error. Exiting.
[Apr 30, 2009 12:43:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gordoma
Veteran Cruncher
Windsor, UK
Project Badges:

I've had a couple of CEP errors since the app changed, but I've also had a lot more WUs coming through, so the proportion of CEP work that I'm able to do has increased (Love my shiney new gold badge).

Big thanks to all the guys looking to sort out these problems. Will upgrade to the latest WCG-sanctioned client when it is available, but until then I'm happy to handle the current error level with little more than an irritated grumble when I see one/some on my results page.

[Apr 30, 2009 12:56:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
teletran
Senior Cruncher

I agree, gordoma. I'm happy with the error rate at this point, I was just posting in case the information is useful.
[Apr 30, 2009 3:46:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread