Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1889 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Problem Running Under Win 98 SE

I loaded the software onto a PIII at work running win 98 SE. The software seems to run calculations for about 30 seconds and the connects to the server and downloads between 800 and 100K. Runs again for about 30 secs and then repeats the downloading and so on and so on.........
Any ideas?
[Nov 17, 2004 4:22:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:
Re: Problem Running Under Win 98 SE

I loaded the software onto a PIII at work running win 98 SE. The software seems to run calculations for about 30 seconds and the connects to the server and downloads between 800 and 100K. Runs again for about 30 secs and then repeats the downloading and so on and so on.........
Any ideas?

How much RAM do you have in your system? What's the speed of your P3?
----------------------------------------
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Nov 17, 2004 6:19:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

192MB
[Nov 17, 2004 7:21:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

oops, It's actually a PII, 192MB, 350Mhz sad
[Nov 17, 2004 9:01:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

i have a pII celeron 366 on 128 MB running w2k and have a similar experience only mine reconnects every 90 secs ( other 4 machines run smoothly ) cant figger out why this one doesnt
even the oldest machine a p1-200mhz on 128mb win98se is processing workunits slowly but smoothly..
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 20, 2004 5:42:53 PM]
[Nov 18, 2004 10:50:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
confused Re: Problem Running Under Win 98 SE

bump
[Nov 20, 2004 3:31:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
sad Re: Problem Running Under Win 98 SE

even playing with the storage amount did not get this thing crunching
it is really depressing me why this wont work

if it doesnt start working within a really short time, i think i'll withdraw all my other machines too.. frustrated frustrated frustrated
[Nov 20, 2004 5:48:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

woohoo, smile i think i finnaly nailed the problem of the continuesly getting wu's from the server every 30-90 secs, took about 5 days but
last night it gave me an error wich i took care of and now its crunching :)

i dun know how to change that setting in win98se but my problem in w2k is solved by increasing the paging file ( virtual memory) on the harddisk on which the wcg client is running, normaly one has paging file allocated on the primary c- drive but since i got the client installed on the e-drive i needed to increase a paging file for this drive too and then it started crunching instead of the ongoing polling the server after 90 secs.

hope this info can help others too...
i reckon the above also applies for XP but not sure.
still for w98se i have no clue on how the paging file must be increased as most win98 machines have their virtual memory controlled by windows itself...

maybe somebody else could enlighten others on that subject
my machine with w98se/client seems to run slowly but smoothly though

happy crunching all...
[Nov 21, 2004 10:17:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I am having the same problem. I am running Windows 98. Yesterday I just upgraded from a 500mhz PII Celeron with 384 megs of memory to an Intel P4 2.4 Ghz with 512 megs of DDR 3200 400 mhz memory. Every few minutes my processing stops and about a megabyte of data is downloaded. In the past I manually adjusted the Windows automatic paging size and that did nothing but cause my system to crash and hang. I also need to know what is causing this problem
[Nov 21, 2004 3:19:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

may i ask why you run w98 on a p4 ??
get some xp or w2k for a p4 wink
[Nov 21, 2004 4:07:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread