Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 582 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Computer Run Times

I just realized my computer has been running for about 2 weeks straight now. I realize that as long as temperatures are fine, there is not much to be worried about, but how often is a re-boot necessary or beneficial?
[Aug 28, 2009 1:56:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Computer Run Times

My rule of thumb: If it crashes, it's time to reboot. biggrin

Otherwise, there's probably little benefit. You do want to do your security updates on a regular basis, however, and occasionally that may mean a reboot.
[Aug 28, 2009 2:37:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Relheokm
If something goes wrong, always try a reboot to fix it. Otherwise, a monthly reboot is almost a necessity, a weekly reboot will reduce the number of puzzling errors you get each year.

"Rule 1: There ARE no rules!"
Lawrence
[Aug 28, 2009 2:59:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Your computer can reboot automatically to a given time, let's say midnight. How to configure this is depending on your OS. It is not too complicated, but you have to be an admin.

shutdown -r as a new entry in the planned tasks (Windows). Let me know, if you need further assistance.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 28, 2009 2:49:53 PM]
[Aug 28, 2009 9:21:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Tripholiada
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I make a point of shutting down my computer once a month, but other than that, keep on crunchin.

I have a friend that only shuts his computer down once a year, and he rarely ever has any problems. (but then again he has a fancy system, while I, a lowly laptop.)
[Aug 28, 2009 3:40:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gordoma
Veteran Cruncher
Windsor, UK
Project Badges:

I had a customer that was running a critical system on NT4 without any resilience. Apparently it had gone for 3 years without a reboot or BSOD.

I suggested that they should sell tickets and people could travel from far and wide to gaze at the miracle.

[Aug 28, 2009 3:53:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

biggrin
[Aug 28, 2009 4:54:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I notice that updates etc. won't install properly unless you re-boot. Nothing to worry about it seems either way, thanks again!
[Aug 28, 2009 9:16:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

In my humble opinion, if all your doing is WCG, not loading different applications, games, office, whatever... it prob wont slow down much, for me when the power goes out time for a reboot (I just bought a UPS so that shouldnt be a prob now)

[Aug 29, 2009 6:37:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread