Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 792 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
thanatos132000
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused No internet connection?

Hi,

I have recently downloaded the program to another computer. This first few minutes, it worked fine, downloaded some units for processing.

Then when I tried to update the Manager, it said that "WCG couldn't do internet communication, no default connection is selected."

And the message i got from the manager says that "World Community Grid|Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server"

Tried closing and reopening the program, restarting the PC, doesn't work. Any idea?
----------------------------------------

[Aug 30, 2009 4:43:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: No internet connection?

You use Windows, yes?

Your internet connection is working, because you can post here?

We haven't seen this problem before, but I think I can guess the cause. There is a problem using your LAN connection, and you have alternative networks available (dialup or VPN).

If you actually use dialup, then simply set up your default connection in Advanced->Options->Connections.

Otherwise, we must work out what the problem is with your LAN connection. Most likely communication is being blocked by your firewall.
[Aug 30, 2009 7:59:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thanatos132000
Cruncher

Hi Didactylos,

Yes, I'm using windows, not using dialup and it is not blocked by firewall as I have unblocked it already...

More helpful information from the log, perhaps? confused

8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM Can't load library nvcuda.dll
8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM No CAL Runtime Libraries installed.
8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM No coprocessors
8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM Not using a proxy
8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM Version change (6.2.28 -> 6.10.1)

8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM World Community Grid Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
8/30/2009 1:40:37 PM World Community Grid Not reporting or requesting tasks
8/30/2009 1:41:03 PM World Community Grid Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server
8/30/2009 1:41:08 PM Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site

8/30/2009 1:41:30 PM BOINC can't access Internet - check network connection or proxy configuration.

Or maybe I should let one of the units finish processing and see if it can be uploaded to the server or not...

[Aug 30, 2009 8:30:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

We don't recommend you use BOINC 6.10. We don't support alpha software.

Our recommended version is BOINC 6.2.28
[Aug 30, 2009 8:35:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thanatos132000
Cruncher

I installed the new version because 6.2.28 also has the same problem. I assumed the new ver. might solve the problem, but it did not.

OK, I will revert back to 6.2.28.

[Aug 30, 2009 9:00:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Try a Clear Default in Advanced->Options->Connections. Mine lists several connections but none are selected on any client.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 30, 2009 9:05:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thanatos132000
Cruncher

Hi Sekerob,

There is nothing for me to choose in the Dial-up and VPN settings. Can't set nor clear default.

[Aug 30, 2009 9:11:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The next question is: do you use a proxy? (This includes transparent proxies used by your firewall that you may not be aware of. Smoothwall uses a proxy, for example.)
[Aug 30, 2009 9:14:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thanatos132000
Cruncher

Hi Didactylos,

I rechecked my firewall and the Bonic program is in the "allowed" list. But your question prompt me to check another program that I'm using at the moment. I turned it off and it now works! It must have blocked off the server IP address, I suppose.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, appreciate it! smile

[Aug 30, 2009 9:36:58 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Please will you let us know what the program was? The only conflict we have listed at present is CyberPatrol.
[Aug 30, 2009 9:44:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread