Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1247 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Laptop safe to use?

Hi there people got a quick question to ask.

I have a laptop that I almost use as much as my main computer so I was wondering if it's safe to run the program on it.

2 or 3 months ago (I think) I notice acouple of threads on laptop cpu's heating up so could anyone tell me if this was acutally(sp?) a problem or not?

Having 2 computers would be so much better than 1 running alone tongue
[May 10, 2005 1:06:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:
Re: Laptop safe to use?

There is nothing necessarily wrong with using a laptop to run the software. The software does indeed cause your processor to heat up more than it would without the WCG software. There is a new feature that the WCG team added this past weekend that might help.

They (The real tech guys) suggest however that you use the throttling feature on your laptop if necessary to keep it from getting too warm. I personally have a Toshiba that has such software it is called the "Toshiba Console".

So, my advice to you would be just to try it. If it gets to the point that it is too hot and the fan is running full speed, then I would look for the throttling software on your machine. If you can't find any, check out the built in throttling software in Rosetta... check here.

If you still can't get it to run reasonably, you can always take it off.

Regards..... Let us know how it comes out.
----------------------------------------
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[May 10, 2005 2:32:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Right I'll do a test run for a day to see if it generates too much heat or not.

Thanks
[May 10, 2005 3:45:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
davidhobbs
Senior Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

I've been running the agent on an HP laptop (AMD mobile Athlon 4 2400+) since early this year. The machine runs continuously without problem.

Regards,
David.
[May 10, 2005 4:49:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jimcooper
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi, I've been running it continually on 5 different IBM laptops for several weeks with no problems. However I do have one IBM laptop that doesn't seem to like it, locks up after a period of time, and one Gateway older tower machine tat does the same thing. They are all running XP.
[May 11, 2005 5:23:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You could always go to officemax or compusa and purchase a cooling pad. They are relatively inexpensive and do ext4end the life of laptop cpus.
[May 11, 2005 5:38:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vepaul
Senior Cruncher
Belgium
Project Badges:

smile I run it on an Acer Travelmate laptop, with Intel Centrino without any problem since november.
Hope for you the same
[May 16, 2005 6:04:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vuj
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Same here, been running on a Toshiba P4 1.6M since november last year, 16 hours a day all week with no problems.

Hope this helps
[May 17, 2005 3:18:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread