Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1379 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
biggrin Christmas gift. A new machine to crunch for WCG.

It is Christmas time. So my gift to "some of you" is a free machine. dancing
How?
Very simple.
If you have 10 machines of similar power crunching for WCG. Just overclock each of them by 10% and you have one more for free. peace

A large number of CPU's do accept 10% overclocking if they are well cooled (air cooling). Stability is not an issue with well designed rigs, well choosen casing, power supply, cpu cooler, motherboard and memory.
If you have 5 machines then you must overclock by 20%. Still doable but more difficult and here you must have the technical know-how.
But it is fun to enter this field and in the end you get a machine for free and for a good cause.

Unfortunately if you have less then five machines then by overclocking it will be difficult to win a free machine even if you are good at it. It is the field of extreme overclockers beat up , where it will be difficult to have systems stable on very long periods and able to run unattended. I mean that do not have to pour liters of liquid nitrogen every 20 minutes or so.

Conclusion, like in the financial world, the richer you are in machines count then the easier you get an additional free machine. wink
----------------------------------------

[Dec 27, 2009 8:20:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Re: Christmas gift. A new machine to crunch for WCG.

smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Apr 23, 2010 11:04:55 PM]
[Dec 27, 2009 8:30:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

It is Christmas time. So my gift to "some of you" is a free machine. dancing

Really like the way you put this biggrin
to infinity and beyond

[Dec 27, 2009 9:03:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

skgiven, if you don't mind, could you run "core temp" software on your 920. It is a freeware you can get here:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I would be interested to see what are your four core temperatures.

[Dec 27, 2009 10:45:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

smile
[Edit 3 times, last edit by skgiven at Apr 23, 2010 11:05:49 PM]
[Dec 28, 2009 12:24:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

skgiven, true that the Core i7 series has excellent overclocking capability with good air cooling.

My initial comment was more general and with 10% the risk is low for anyone to have problems and on the various CPU range.

Personally I have 950's and 975's. They are all averclocked at about 25% with good CPU air cooling and chassis ventilation with automatic voltage adjustment made by the Bios on board. I use the Asus mainboards 1399 socket P6TD series and the Rampage II Extreme type.

In this way I run at full load on all cores either for 950 or 975, with core temperatures around 65° Centigrades Max. which is excellent. This means I could overclock some more but on this I am conservative and prefer to have good margins and be on long term durability and stability. money eyes

I have one 950 though which overclocked or not runs between 85°C and 95°C core temp coffee . Either the core temp measurements are wrong or I have a problem with the cpu cooler which I doubt as I have excellent cpu coolers and excellent thermal paste and long practice of installing them. The chassis cooling is also top so... confused
When I check the BIOS temp values for CPU and board (at idle) I get CPU temp at 38-40°C and chassis temp at similar values. I have to use another software to read the temps and see what comes out.

[Dec 28, 2009 9:25:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Your concept is fine, and I like it smile , but the Maths is slightly inaccurate wink

It is a bit dubious to say that people can generally overclock CPUs by 10%, 20% or any other number! It helps to be a bit more specific. Many CPU’s do overclock, but many will not (or only very slightly; 3%), either due to the CPU or more likely the limitations of the motherboard (OEM systems especially), or another component (sometimes RAM, GPU, heatsink or even PSU).
From experience I can say that until recently most modern AMD CPUs did not overclock well and were very difficult to work with. With the early Phenom’s for example – I struggled to overclock by 5%. My Phenom II 940 on the other hand was perfectly stable at 110% and I know that if I upped the core voltage I could have clocked it much higher. As it has a GTX260 crunching 24/7 and with stability being key, it now sits natively clocked.

Intel’s dual and quad cores tend to clock better, and more easily! A Q6600 will typically clock from its native 2.4GHz to somewhere between 3GHz and 3.6GHz (on air). That is 125% to 150%, or from another point of view the equivalent of having another 1 or 2 cores smile
Intels more recent multi-core CPUs (Q9400, Q9450, Q9650,Q8200, i7’s, i5’s and many more) tend to clock slightly better.

Making the Maths Add up:
If you overclock a system by 20% it will not do an additional 20% work, it will actually do a bit more; 25%.
Similarly, a CPU clocked to 125% is actually 33% faster, and will therefore do 33% more work, not 25%.
The point is you just need 3 identical systems clocked to 125% to contribute as much as 4 natively clocked systems!
So your 16threads working 33% faster are doing as much work as 21threads smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Apr 23, 2010 11:09:23 PM]
[Dec 28, 2009 1:05:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

So I would say my real temps are about 70degrees when running WCG; certainly not 85 or 90degrees!

Well as long as your system is stable, the temperatures are probably alright. Although there is a difference between BOINC and some serious stress test. I prefer not to OC my system more than it can handle with IBT, as sometimes computer is needed for other usage as well. With just BOINC, your system can handle a bit more OC'ing.

mika
to infinity and beyond

[Dec 28, 2009 1:27:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:
smile Re: Christmas gift. A new machine to crunch for WCG.

Regarding my temperatures I tried various applications to check for consistency and I found the values to be consistent to 3, 4 degrees.

So my 950 with cores at 90-95 degrees did show consistently that value. In my bios you get a CPU temp value and not a core per core value. But when you are in the bios you are in idle mode so temps fall.

Anyway, I opened my case to see if something was wrong. And indeed something was wrong. shock The frame fixture on the mainboard supporting the big CPU cooler with its own fan, had ruptured on one leg. So there was not anymore a full contact between the cooler plate and the CPU.

I changed the frame and the fixtures reinstalled everything and now I get on the overclocked CPU consistent readings at 55-65 degrees like with my other CPU's. peace

[Dec 28, 2009 9:41:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Glad you checked that - heatsink fixing problems are becomming more common, especially for i7s and SKT775 CPUs.
90degrees is not normal!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Dec 29, 2009 12:06:49 AM]
[Dec 28, 2009 10:55:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread