Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1076 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
my be wrong forum but wondering about SSD's

in the future (hopefully near) i am planing on building a new computer (or 2) and i keep hearing about useing a Solid State Drive for the OS and program files and such.

i was curious if anyone knew how well those handle running Boinc and WCG.

basicaly what are the pro's and cons about running a SSD (asumeing i will have a normal hard drive too for larger storage) and Boinc with WCG.

i dont want to spend the money on one if i am not going to get a good advantage out of it but they sound so nice.

would love to especialy hear from people like Movieman who have those ungodly computers that they keep testing tongue

thanks in advance
----------------------------------------

[Mar 28, 2010 6:13:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:
Re: my be wrong forum but wondering about SSD's

Well, yes, computer discussion is more of a CHAT item. I may suggest that the techs move it.

Flash drives are not good for operating systems or data because they can have a more limited time between failure than a traditional hard drive, which gets beat on severely for dynamic uses.

Flash drives are better for copying files or backup, as in a floppy drive role.

I hope that the new SSD have solved this problem. I am not sure yet (without looking further.)
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Mar 28, 2010 8:22:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

They won't really speed up BOINC/WCG. Most of the gains are in starting things up. SSDs are great if you need to speed up your boot times, want your programs to load faster, or are doing disk intensive operations. If booting in 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds, loading explorer/firefox in 1 second instead of 5, or running database apps faster are important to you, get an SSD. If you're just building a cruncher and/or not booting or loading programs all the time, save your money or buy a faster video card you can use on other projects.
I have an SSD and I can't really say it's worth it. I'm using old 160GB drives in a couple of my machines and they're plenty fast for crunching.
Now, if you're talking about a laptop, the increased battery life would make it worthwhile.

[Mar 28, 2010 11:53:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have an SSD for my OS and apps and installed all the BOINC folders to a secondary traditional hard drive. BOINC does alot of R/W so no use wearing out the SSD for no real gain.
[Mar 29, 2010 1:55:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I am considering getting one myself for HTPC system. For me the advantages are.

1. Quieter.
2. Cooler.
3. Less energy use.

I believe all 3 are valid.

I am a bit concerned with it degrading over time since they are limited in the number of writes per bit. Other than that it should work fine.
[Mar 30, 2010 5:23:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pirogue
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I don't disagree with the advantages.
However, the cost is a major disadvantage. If you're building a crunching machine, an 80GB drive will cost either ~$35 for a conventional drive (free if reusing an old drive) or ~$225 for an SSD.
$190 could buy a better processor, more or all of the memory, or pay for the electricity to run the conventional HD for close to 20 years.

[Mar 30, 2010 1:35:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I am considering getting one myself for HTPC system. For me the advantages are.

1. Quieter.
2. Cooler.
3. Less energy use.

I believe all 3 are valid.

I am a bit concerned with it degrading over time since they are limited in the number of writes per bit. Other than that it should work fine.

I've run it for a couple of months on a quality USD stick with my quad. Slightly more errors, maybe 1 in 200 instead of 1 in 250. I've had during that period the Write to Disk / Checkpointing set to 10 minutes interval minimum. The default is 60 seconds. Trialled this including some HPF2 work... the most sensitive it seems to "what's running on the side"

edit: Why I took it off in the end: Think it had an adverse effect on mini benchmarks of the AutoDock projects. Very poor credit grants... yes I'm not impervious to that part either.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 30, 2010 1:49:56 PM]
[Mar 30, 2010 1:48:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Why the low score. Does it over emphasize disk transfer speed?
It seems like disk should have almost no impact for most projects.
[Mar 31, 2010 1:43:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TimAndHedy
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

However, the cost is a major disadvantage.

I am looking at 30GB drives and waiting for a good deal. The Linux requirements are almost nothing( I ran on a 8GB flash drive once ).

My feeling is sub $50 - $100 should be easy to find by fall.
[Mar 31, 2010 1:47:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

About a year ago was this comparison between SSD's and there were huge differences in performance between manufacturers. So before you buy any SSD, make sure it performs as it should, as they all won't.

edit. Ah, here it is, and this is what they said about one manufacturer

These devices provide fast read performance, but only average write performance, and poor I/O capabilities.

However, these products require so much power that they got hot during our testing. Even a high performance 3.5” desktop hard drive requires less power than these two offerings.
to infinity and beyond

[Edit 2 times, last edit by mikaok at Mar 31, 2010 11:47:38 AM]
[Mar 31, 2010 7:19:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread