Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 20
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1040 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
shock Cosmic Cataclysm

A few hours ago an undetected dark star exploded nearby my solar system. Except Jupiter (logical the most massive), Haumea (very far away on the opposite side) and Uranus (luckily shielded by Jupiter that was in conjunction against the shockwave) all the other celestial bodies were simply swept away from their orbits. crying

That dark star that exploded was my wife. biggrin
Over the last week temperatures have risen as summer is finally there. And in my home we have no air conditioning so temperatures are pretty high, around 27 degrees Celsius. The basement is usually the place were she goes to get fresher temperatures. We have a TV room there and she has also her professional office in another room. Unfortunately the average temp in the basement has overall increased and you can feel the heatwave I have to admit. We have now a Nevada desert climate in the basement.

This morning she came with an ultimatum. A thermal ultimatum.
Either I close the door of the small basement room were is my placed my solar system, so as to stop heating the ambient air or she cuts the power from the main switchboard. Exception Jupiter, Haumea and Uranus are each in other places and so are not concerned.

Ok I closed the door. Temperatures that were about 35 degrees in that room after a few hours went to over 45 and rising. The wooden door was hot to the touch. To my big amazement all machines were still perfectly running. I did not dare to check core temps but I switched off one by one all the machines. It was a terribly painful procedure. In fact this small room is shared with stocks of various household products, cleaning, and others. All objects in that room were hot when touched.

The room has a window that stays completely open. In winter time cold air rushes inside (cold air is heavier) and all is perfect, temperatures are mild in the basement and everybody is happy. But in summer time the hot air is not let's say hot enough to force itself out of the window through the cooler external air. It remains trapped and heats everything around.

So I have now to study a solution. Conditions are clear. The door must remain shut and air temp inside the room must be max at 25 degrees C. No idea what this will cost. But the investment then must be designed to allow for a few more devices. biggrin

So for some time I will slowly fade away from stats and rankings. So to all of you have fun, and crunch crunch crunch.

I'll come back !! peace
----------------------------------------

[Jun 6, 2010 5:13:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Re: Cosmic Cataclysm

My condolences,
There are many types of Units to put in the window, or next to
it with hoses going up to the window (as we have).
Being in Canada we feel it's kinda silly to use AC in the entire
house, a couple fans and open door is sufficient, but for the bedroom
we have to sleep and can't without some cold air in the summer.
That unit was around 4 to 5 hundred Canadian. (similar to USD)
Great story though heh,
Those dark stars can be very unpredictable, surprisingly logical,
and ultimately quite practical. wink

P.S. My machines will be going offline for a couple weeks (going on
holiday to the US) We should join forces, I would make the team,
but you should be Creator and Master of your Solar System, I am but a mere
satellite system. (I may not be able to resist buying some more
CPU's in the US, they are 20 or 30 percent cheaper than Canada)
And a 4 socket motherboard w/8 core CPU's TITAN would be revealed.

[Jun 6, 2010 5:52:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Jack,
Its in the plan to create the team, I only need some time available to do it properly. In July if all goes well I will have some spare time for it.
smile

[Jun 6, 2010 7:54:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Ok, sounds good,
that's when i get back (around the 7th)

[Jun 6, 2010 8:33:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kateiacy
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yes, condolences indeed!

I have only two machines crunching right now, so not a very big cooling problem. But I am planning to add more machines one by one as finances permit. So I am trying to think out a system to make efficient use of the heat they will generate.

In the winter, it's easy: they will heat my home office, as my current two machines helped to do this past winter.

For the summer, I am working on a scheme whereby they will heat water (and simultaneously be cooled by it). Details are very sketchy at present, but computers (my units are small) will be inside a tube, which is inside another tube. Cold water will be pumped through the space between the two tubes and from there into the hot water heater. If others of you have better ideas on this, please share!

[Jun 6, 2010 8:36:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

The solution to your hyper galactic problem is a heat pump (I hope the term is right as it is called "air-heat pump" when translated straight from Finnish..).

It will cost you around 1000-2000 $/€ including installation and it will look like this:

the indoor unit

the ourdoor unit...

and of course, the remote to control the temperature your milky way environment

to infinity and beyond

[Jun 6, 2010 8:51:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks mikaok.
Your translation is fine. Indeed it is air-air heat pumps. It's a split system like you showed.
The problem I have is that the ceiling in my basement room is extremely low. Something like 2mt20 from floor to ceiling. And the room is very crammed. I have easy external access for the compressor from the window, but putting the indoor unit will be a challenge. If I could find a way to put all the house stuff somewhere else and devote that room just for crunching would be easier, but I lack space and the house is not very big.
I will need a professional for that and may be to design a customized solution.
Just forced ventilation that extracts the hot air air in the room and expels it outside could be enough.

[Jun 6, 2010 9:48:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Just forced ventilation that extracts the hot air air in the room and expels it outside could be enough.

Would an extractor fan (similar to ones in bathrooms) be of some use?

[Jun 6, 2010 10:00:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:

[Jun 6, 2010 10:47:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The cheapest solution would be the exhaust fan in the window. The thing to remember would be to size the air movement of the exhausting air with an equal amount of incoming air, probably through the open basement door. If there is an insufficient opening for incoming air it will effect the efficiency of the exhaust fan. Hopefully the window is big enough to get a good sized fan in there. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jun 7, 2010 2:21:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread