Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 627 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Boincview and Linux

Is there a way to get Linux crunchers to show up in Boincview if the host machine is running windows?
Running Dotsch/UX 1.24 based on Ubuntu.
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Jul 31, 2010 3:02:45 AM]
[Jul 31, 2010 2:37:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:
Re: Boincview and Linux

Yes, same as well for BoincTasks. These programs communicate with the clients using RPC commands like between BOINC Manager and the BOINC client.

BoincTasks uses less CPU in the machine which hosts it, and it is still developed and supported.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Jul 31, 2010 3:57:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Yes, same as well for BoincTasks. These programs communicate with the clients using RPC commands like between BOINC Manager and the BOINC client.

BoincTasks uses less CPU in the machine which hosts it, and it is still developed and supported.

I looked at BoincTasks and they look very similar. Unfortunately I know very little about Linux since I just set up a few machines to crunch on USB drives. Could you point me to some detailed instructions on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Jul 31, 2010 4:56:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I looked at BoincTasks and they look very similar. Unfortunately I know very little about Linux since I just set up a few machines to crunch on USB drives. Could you point me to some detailed instructions on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks.

The latest version of boinctasks, 0.83, installs perfectly on Ubuntu 10.04 32bit using version 1.2 of Wine from the Ubuntu repo.
I'm very impressed! The CPU utilization is way WAY less than boincview. I'm now going to dump boincivew on Linux for good. biggrin
If you have your remote_hosts.cfg and gui_rpc_auth.cfg setup already, the find computer feature finds all your computers effortlessly. VERY COOL!
[Oct 30, 2010 6:39:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

If you have your remote_hosts.cfg and gui_rpc_auth.cfg setup already, the find computer feature finds all your computers effortlessly. VERY COOL!

I have managed to get to the data directory in dotsch/ux. There is no remote_hosts.cfg file there. I need to add it and edit the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file but I haven't been able to find out how to do that. Can you help? Sure would save me trips up and down the stairs. biggrin

I have also switched to BoincTasks.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Oct 30, 2010 11:43:39 PM]
[Oct 30, 2010 11:41:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have managed to get to the data directory in dotsch/ux. There is no remote_hosts.cfg file there. I need to add it and edit the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file but I haven't been able to find out how to do that. Can you help? Sure would save me trips up and down the stairs. biggrin

I have also switched to BoincTasks.

open a terminal and type --> sudo nano /etc/boinc-client/gui_rpc_auth.cfg --> type sudo pwd
Once in nano type your boinc RPC pass phrase. Hit ctrl-x and hit y to save.
Do the same for the remote_hosts.cfg --> from a terminal --> sudo nano /etc/boinc-client/remote_hosts.cfg and type in the ip address of the computer that is running the boinctasks app.
Done.
Keep asking questions if you are still not sure.
Refer to this also --> http://www.boinc-wiki.info/BOINC_Daemon_Password
[Oct 31, 2010 2:32:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I was finally able to get it set up. Because Dotsch/ux comes with the BOINC client as part of the install package and no remote_hosts.cfg file it was a little more tricky to get going. Thanks to all who helped. Now I don't have to run up and down the stairs every time I want to check in on my Linux crunchers. dancing

[Nov 1, 2010 7:59:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I was finally able to get it set up. Because Dotsch/ux comes with the BOINC client as part of the install package and no remote_hosts.cfg file it was a little more tricky to get going. Thanks to all who helped. Now I don't have to run up and down the stairs every time I want to check in on my Linux crunchers. dancing

It's a very cool app!!! peace
Good to hear you got it working. coffee
[Nov 2, 2010 12:12:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread