Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5590 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
cw64
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Memory committed vs memory used

I was puzzled to see a bunch of WU's error because of lack of memory, when 2/3rds of my memory is "free". A little bit of digging an I find that while each WU uses ~36MB, the amount of memory committed is ~512MB per WU.
This is giving rise to an intersting situation where I am running out of virtual memory before the actual physical memory has been used up.
Why is so much memory committed when so little of it is used?
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cw64 at Aug 26, 2010 3:43:54 PM]
[Aug 26, 2010 3:43:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Memory committed vs memory used

That 500Mb is very probable including virtual memory. Running Top and Shift A, shows the use on my Linux system for one DDDT2 repair job as:

396MB Overall of which
365MB Swap
31MB RAM Actual, and Reserved
388MB occupied by data

Linux Roullez

edit: Screenshot of top -p 32518 to isolate the specific process, then Shift A to get all the columns folding out.

WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Aug 26, 2010 4:02:44 PM]
[Aug 26, 2010 3:53:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

It looks at VM a lot, i have 12 GIGs of RAM and it
still freaks out occasionally with 8 Dengue running
(Type A was worse)

[Aug 27, 2010 6:30:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Some advice on VM settings might help - What size to set it to on various systems?
I would suggest people set aside 512MB to 1GB for XP/Linux & 1GB to 2GB for Vista/W7 (just for the operating system).
Add 512MB per thread/core.
So a Q6600 on XP would need 512MB + 4X512MB = 2.5GB (min), or 3GB max,
and an i7 on Vista would need 1GB + 8X512MB = 5GB (min), or 6GB max.
Of course this takes no account of the other applications you are using. Even Internet browsers can use quite a lot these days. It also takes no account of tasks that ran, reached 42% or whatever, and are now sitting in memory waiting to run.
PS. Anyone changing VM settings should exit Boinc first, and note that it requires a restart to take effect.
[Aug 27, 2010 8:25:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

In principle the sizing of the Swap File is dynamic and does not require anyone's interference. Base line, old hand:

1. Set the Swapfile minimum to 1.5 times the RAM.
2. Leave the upper limit open, free to expand
3. Assign the Swapfile to the fastest drive, preferably it's own partition (Linux 10.04 does this by default). It's own drive prevents the file from fragmenting. Fragmenting causes more latency... disks are slow no matter what.
4. Allow BOINC lots of space in RAM. I've got it on 85% during use and 95% when idle. Of course the REAL HD use should be set richly too with 8 concurrent DDDT/CEP2/C4CW tasks... basically all WCG tasks but maybe HCC and HCMD2.

There are many easy to find help items for those who want to tweak, so visit for instance the How To Geek; http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/...s-vista-paging-file-size/ or http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/120590-optimum-swap-file-size-4g-ram.html or http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-change-the-swap-file-settings.html
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 27, 2010 9:20:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread