Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 1840
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 312824 times and has 1839 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Research Log: Updates from the Harvard Team

Here are a few pictures from the GCEP meeting in Stanford where we presented the Clean Energy Project a few weeks ago.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.317...74883049191931&type=1
[Nov 17, 2011 7:30:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Quick question.

I am sharing CEP2 with another project, Lechmaniasis on my computers.
Now I don't see anywhere where I can set any sort of bias as to which project gets what amount of attention, but it has been largely it seems about 80 percent CEP and 20 percent Lechy.

Over the past few days it seems that I am getting almost exclusively Lechy and almost no CEP workunits.

What controls which project gets what amount of 'attention' when multi projects are selected and is this something we can control?

If something got tweaked somewhere, this might help explain why as was posted earlier, our daily work has dropped a bit.

Thank you
Aaron
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 17, 2011 9:23:35 PM]
[Nov 17, 2011 9:22:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

i am doing 1 result per computer because that is all my computers can manage.

i am also down to just 3 processors from 5 cause of a hard drive crash... hopefully will get that back up and going soon i am guessing some of the slowdown is that GFAM project starting i know that has forced me to shift projects a bit... I support this project with all I have unfortunately its not been a good year for me computer wise i have lost 4 processors and hopefully i can get one more per time going.

love all the updates keep them comming

[Nov 17, 2011 9:22:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Ascholten,
What controls which project gets what amount of 'attention' when multi projects are selected and is this something we can control?

This is a question for WCG since we handle this. We fill up a 'Send' buffer with a number of work units. We select the percentage of work units from each project. Once the buffer is empty, we refill it. You can see that this can produce all sorts of strange effects. The way to check up on relative percentages allocated to projects is to look at Statistics - By Projects in the Yesterday section. biggrin Then you can adjust # of results by average runtime if you are compulsive and want to check up on the WCG staff's dedication to fairness. laughing But then you should allow for the possibility that the staff are adjusting for the ability of the project scientists to receive and check work units.

devilish You can spend as much or as little 'mind share' as you can spare on these statistical questions.

I have not noticed any change on CEP2 on my computer recently, but other projects seem to be bobbing up and down in a turbulent environment (on my computer -- it probably does not show up in the Global Statistics.).

Lawrence
[Nov 18, 2011 1:12:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Our CEP video clip from our JPCL paper is available on Youtube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfceQ5J_SCs
[Nov 18, 2011 3:51:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Nov 18, 2011 7:10:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can check out our system monitor .
lollll...by the looks of the system load and free memory, you should have about 4 of those 16 cores crunchin' CEP2.

(Edit: I'm kidding, I'm kidding; consequence of downtime outweighs benefit in increased results returned. laughing )
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 18, 2011 8:22:58 PM]
[Nov 18, 2011 8:19:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't questioning the fairness of the project distribution was just wondering if there was any way I could custom tailor of the projects I do which ones get how much attention. Also was wondering how the distro works and yes it makes perfect sense. Why send a science team 2 mil results a day when they can only process 1 mil a day, as that would quickly cause a bottle neck and a backlog of work.

I also realize that the boinc program itself gets a mind of it's own sometimes and was curious if it was one of those 'things' that caused this phenomena with my system.

Aaron
[Nov 18, 2011 11:47:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Here are a few pictures from CCTCC-20 in Jackson, Mississippi. It was a quite successful meeting as well.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.318...74883049191931&type=1
[Nov 19, 2011 3:10:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The CEP team had a little get-together dinner yesterday night - hope you all also enjoyed your weekend ;)
http://xkcd.com/872/
[Nov 20, 2011 11:29:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 1840   Pages: 184   [ Previous Page | 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread