Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 600 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
z2000
Advanced Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
I tried to attach another project

I tried to attach a project from SuperLink.
From the Boinc manager drop down menus, when I tried to attach a project from SuperLink I found it to be a website whose forums are not very well tended to. Tasks appears to run as much as 60 hours according to posters there, when they're only listed as 56 minute tasks.

Is there a way to remove SuperLink from the Boinc manager?
Who decides which sites appear in that menu?
----------------------------------------

[Mar 26, 2011 8:42:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: I tried to attach another project

Hello z2000,

biggrin Most BOINC projects are run by tiny groups of people, normally academics. They have to hope that people will be understanding. WCG selects projects with strong support and helps them with a lot of the drudge work involved. You can read about this at BOINC ( http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ ) or better yet at the Distributed Computing site ( http://www.distributedcomputing.info/ ). I usually just use Distributed Computing for Active Projects or News and Articles, but it also contains a great deal of history of distributed computing projects and links to many interesting articles about problems that projects have had (meaning painful problems inflicted on people running these projects! laughing ).

Lawrence
[Mar 26, 2011 9:42:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Is there a way to remove SuperLink from the Boinc manager?
Boinc Manager (Advanced View), Projects Tab, click on Superlink Technion, click the Detach button.

Who decides which sites appear in that menu?
Berkeley (the people who develop Boinc).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Mar 26, 2011 9:46:56 AM]
[Mar 26, 2011 9:45:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
z2000
Advanced Cruncher

smile
People, thank you for the replies.

Skgiven, I noticed in your signature you've managed to run some tasks at superlink yourself.

I did detach it, but now I feel better about possibly trying one more time. I'm still trying to decide, mostly because I'm not sure if tying up at least one of my cpu cores for over 60 hours was going to produce anything.

The progress bar stated 0% for over an hour (on 56 minute tasks), but some have posted in their forum that up to 60 hours or more later, they do seem to complete.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by z2000 at Mar 26, 2011 11:44:04 AM]
[Mar 26, 2011 10:43:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

The last Superlink task I ran took 28min on an i7-860 (HT). Can I suggest POEM or DOCKING as a secondary project, if you are worried about Superlink. Their tasks don't take long, their projects are more reliable/available and the subject is similar to some of the projects here. You could set the weighting to a low number should you decide, and use it for a backup project. I think the latest Beta Boinc versions even allow for zero weighting, so you would only pick up tasks if there were none available here (during the occasional short outages).

Overall I spend slightly over half of my CPU time here, more of late, but I like to contribute to some of the more challenging projects, because they need the support, and I find it interesting. It also helps when providing support to understand some of the other projects. Still cant bring myself to search for aliens or crunch for mathematical projects, even to better understand the workings of these projects.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Mar 26, 2011 1:30:44 PM]
[Mar 26, 2011 1:27:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
z2000
Advanced Cruncher

Yes, thank you, I will try Poem and Docking as well. I just now completed two for Rosetta.

These will be for one of my cpu cores, and the rest of the cores I will keep for WCG

[Mar 26, 2011 6:30:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
z2000
Advanced Cruncher

I had to reset the Poem project at first, but now all tasks seem to be working fine, also I am 'not' leaving tasks in my swap page during interruptions.

Docking@home doesn't show up in my Boinc box yet (as of the time of this post), but I successfully added them too:

[Edit 2 times, last edit by z2000 at Mar 30, 2011 2:42:03 AM]
[Mar 29, 2011 4:09:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread