Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2265
Posts: 2265   Pages: 227   [ Previous Page | 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 193453 times and has 2264 replies Next Thread
grumpygrampy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
angry Re: Looking for survivors to join Team "The survivors"

I'm writing this on an abacus because my crunching PC is trashed.

Moral: don't upgrade RAM and then let Windows Update run if the ram might not be stable. (Can you say Blue Screen of Death?)

Multiple attempts to correct the problems, and several W7 re-installs leads me to believe the disk drive was damaged.

I have a new 160G disk which W7 installed fine onto, so this will be my
PC until i get a new larger HDD, or (gasp) SSD.

crying
[Dec 19, 2011 9:07:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Looking for survivors to join Team "The survivors"

If by chance you do buy an SSD to use as Cache as I did, be aware that not all SSDs are alike.
I bought a Samsung 830 Series 64GB SATA 6Gb/s.
The documentation that came with it specifically stated NOT to use it as a SSD Cache as the drive was not made for that purpose and doing so would void the warranty.
Great time to tell me, after I purchased the product.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H, which has the Intel Z68 Southbridge.
Intel has released a new "SSD 311" drive checking in at 20 GB and codenamed "Larson Creek". The SSD 311 is specifically designed as a caching SSD for Z68, utilizing high-performance and long-lasting single-level cell (SLC) flash memory and expected to be priced at around $110.
I would read up on wear leveling and make sure to NOT defrag the SSD as it just helps to wear it out and wear leveling makes it unnecessary.
----------------------------------------
smile Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Join the team The survivors hugs
(23 year Kidney Cancer survivor)

[Dec 19, 2011 10:46:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

grumpygrampy,
Hope your abacus holds up until you get a new hard drive.
There was talk of a shortage of HDs due to the flooding in Thailand, which is where most HDs are made.
Do you have an idea how long it is going to take to get back to crunching?
No rush, just curious.

What is the story on the new RAM?
Did you get a bad stick?
I had an IBM PS/2 in which I installed some free memory sticks given to me by a programmer with a PS/2.
It was extra memory and he didn't need it.
A year or two later the PC was crashing pretty regular.
Turns out that the memory was not compatible and it just took some time for me to hit the higher address range on the free sticks.
Back in those days it was hard to look up stuff on the Internet because we only had Netscape and Gopher.
smile Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

[Dec 20, 2011 9:08:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

As our holiday special we are offering new members a signing bonus of 1,000 ECS.
You heard right; that's 1,000 Ecuadorian Sucre, payable in US Currency.

We are not accustomed to handling large amounts of currency, so if you would be so kind as to give us your bank info we will direct deposit your bonus.
Oh yeah, be on the lookout for crooks and swindlers that will try to entice you into giving up your personal data.
Don't fall for it!

*This offer expires 00:01 UTC 1/1/2012.
*Currency conversion is based on the rate available at the time the offer was made.
*Sorry, only one bonus per member regardless of the number of aliases you use.
*This offer is limited to the first 100 new members or $4.00 USD whichever comes first.

[Dec 21, 2011 3:22:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

RCC

So is Grumpy giving you all his extra Sucres that he has from his time spent in Ecuador? I hear he has about 100,000,000 in Sucres hidden away.
[Dec 21, 2011 3:49:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
grumpygrampy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The exchange rate for Sucres was 3000 to 1, so your 1000 S offer is worth about 30 cents. Which is why Ecuador went to the Dollar for it's currency. So i'll take the $4.00 offer, thank you very much.

Posted bank account on Facebook so you can deposit the cash.

Gracias biggrin
[Dec 21, 2011 11:58:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Actually, the exchange rate at the time of the offer makes the 1,000 ECS deal worth a whopping $0.04 USD.
The economy has no effect on our resources so that is why we were able to make such a generous offer.
Recruiting new crunchers is more difficult than anticipated; I was sure that this cash offer would go over big.

True story,
I was searching the Internet for a programmer I worked with at Bellcore and found his credit card info on a list published by some bozo in the Philippines.
It seems bozo was good at stealing info but not very good at security himself as his name and info was easily found on the website.
I reported bozo and his thieving website to the credit card company.
I did locate the programmer, after all I had his personal info courtesy of bozo.

[Dec 21, 2011 5:56:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Whauw!
Good you caught bozo - and found your programmer.
Who will take such a case further?
I cannot believe that!
Well, yes I can.
I believe in chances and coincidences and fate
- and when they say there is 1 in a million chance that the most
powerful powerplant will go off it does not make me feel safe at all.

[Dec 21, 2011 6:14:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Shopping at the grocery store.
The smiling young clerk said "today you saved $61."
And I asked, "how much did it cost me?"
"$135" she replied,
This must be the new math the US government is using to solve the financial crisis.
This is quite an improvement over the math used in the military where they would spend a dollar to save a dime.
I am going to put my savings in a safe place until I have enough to buy something, maybe a new laptop PC.

[Dec 22, 2011 12:02:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RCC_Survivor
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I quit drinking after my 2nd divorce.
The drinking didn't cause the divorce.
The drinking caused the marriage.

Did you know that marriage is the biggest cause of divorce?

What I have learned about marriage.
Do not fall in love with someone and then try to change them into the person you want.
Find a person that has the qualities you want and fall in love with that person.
Your life will be much easier.
People do not change.
Well, maybe for a little while but they always go back to their old self because that is their comfort zone.

[Dec 22, 2011 4:26:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 2265   Pages: 227   [ Previous Page | 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread