Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1607 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Griding with or without HT

Hey all :)

I would like to know how people here Grid? Do you grid with HT or not. Tell why.

Thanks
[Oct 13, 2011 6:20:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RAID Xero
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Griding with or without HT

Yes. I love seeing 8 threads going. It's not a 100% increase, but it does help.
[Oct 13, 2011 6:32:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

On my I7 laptop - I tried, it gets too hot, so bottom line is that TThrottle would slow down so much that at end does not make sense.

If I had to buy a new machine to crunch - no more laptops, sorry.
[Oct 13, 2011 7:09:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

On my I7 laptop - I tried, it gets too hot, so bottom line is that TThrottle would slow down so much that at end does not make sense.

If I had to buy a new machine to crunch - no more laptops, sorry.

Offtopic

I suggest you buy a laptop cooler, such own would be zalman nc3000 series or any other that have big fan(140mm or bigger).

Regards
[Oct 13, 2011 8:26:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have one, targus. Perhaps you could say it is not that efficient that specific model, but I barely notice the difference.

IMHO there is little you can do with the small surface open for heating disposal in a notebook. The bottom is almost completely closed. The space inside is on purpose kept at the minimum. Processors are too powerful for that kind of space and heating disposal solutions. Not done for running 100% for hours.

And if you think, apart from us, who needs to run 100% 24/7 on a laptop?
[Oct 13, 2011 9:59:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

you are right I have a duel core x 4 I have taken the bottom off and placed on a large cooler. It now run's within specs doing 4 threads. temp toping out at 70c.
[Oct 14, 2011 12:08:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ryan222h
Senior Cruncher

Crunching with hyperthreading ON is a benefit for a couple of reasons:

1) It significantly increases your computing power for only a marginal increase in power consumption

(consider the i5-2500k and i7-2600k are both 95 watt cpu's even though the 2600k can produce 20-50% more points per day on WCG)

2) Having 2 threads running on one core will increase your WCG "run time" by a factor of 2

Of course if your system is a laptop it may be better to have it off for thermal issues, but in a desktop setting I would always take hyperthreading vs no hyperthreading
----------------------------------------

[Edit 2 times, last edit by ryan222h at Oct 14, 2011 2:10:58 AM]
[Oct 14, 2011 2:07:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

I run my laptop with HT on, it gets hot, but it stays well within tolerances. Laptop processors (except high-end machines) tend to be a little less powerful so the heat generated isn't as extreme as it could be. At least with my laptop, it manages the heat just fine. When I buy a machine for strictly crunching, it's always a desktop with as much space for fans and cooling as I can manage.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Oct 14, 2011 4:31:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

I always use HT on desktops. Even with an Intel heatsink (just don't OC).
I don't always use all threads to crunch on though. I often leave one free to improve system responsiveness; I also crunch for a couple of non-intensive projects (freehal and wuprop), and GPU projects (that use a little bit of one thread).
Did you try HT on, Turbo off, and/or reducing the clock speed using power options?
[Oct 14, 2011 8:22:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I always use HT on desktops. Even with an Intel heatsink (just don't OC).
I don't always use all threads to crunch on though. I often leave one free to improve system responsiveness; I also crunch for a couple of non-intensive projects (freehal and wuprop), and GPU projects (that use a little bit of one thread).
Did you try HT on, Turbo off, and/or reducing the clock speed using power options?

I did and I can't say that I noticed big difference and I missed seeing the 8 tasks :D

My laptop is 80-85C (the gpu is also on full load (folding@home) so not problem there. My ex-laptop was on 100C ^^.

I can't reduce the clock speed since the bios doesn't allow me to turn the turbo boost.

i7-2630qm is very good cpu. I reach 700-800-pionts as average points which is very impressive if I compare to my old amd which struggled for 200points. I am not Griding 24h, only when am at the laptop.
[Oct 14, 2011 11:12:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread