Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 543 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Alexone
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Strange visualizer

Hello everybody smile
Recently I saw strange picture of visializer. It was green.

I was surprised because a normal picture of visualizer is blue.

Anyone else seen something like that? And why it happened? Is this normal?
[Oct 20, 2011 6:25:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Strange visualizer

Maybe the quantum calculation skipped right on by the photovoltaic effect and into photosynthesis? (He says, feebly...)

Most likely CPU and/or GPU processor time was temporarily hogged by "something", the thread doing screen painting was blocked, you see "green", cpu scheduler sez time for next thread, the thread writing to the display is unblocked, you see normal screen paint.

I.e., not something I would worry excessively about as there are other processes running besides BOINC's "calculator processes" that can cause a thread to temporarily block particularly on Windows boxes (e.g., antivirus scans, backups if you have them scheduled, BOINC doing a file transfer, the dreaded Windows update, file indexing, your computer reporting in to the *NSA or the PRC's Ministry of State Security...)

(*lollll...kidding. Probably. biggrin )
[Oct 20, 2011 7:48:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The calculation was feeling a bit seasick that day laughing .
No, what most likely happened here was that the so-called Fock matrix (which is visualized in the screensaver) has relatively uniformly non-zero off-diagonal elements, which are displayed in greenish. It basically means that the job has a ways to go till it finishes. The more the calculation progresses, the smaller these off-diagonal values become until they are all zero (color coded in blue) and the calculation is converged.
Hope that clears everything up biggrin
Best wishes
Your Harvard CEP team
[Oct 21, 2011 8:26:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Guess I should have included "When I have seen it, the progress indicator also stopped updating - and then suddenly VoilĂ ! Progress indicator updating, everything back to normal colors."

Now I would conclude that there are multiple potential causes.
[Oct 21, 2011 9:07:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alexone
Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

Thank you for the explanation.
[Oct 24, 2011 9:57:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread