Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2101 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How can I delete a device from the list?

Maybe there is no need for 5 and 10 year badges, just simply a need to really have a million devices in the world. One legitimate concern could be that there is no impetus to increase the number of world devices when the globe already appears to have over 1,000,000 devices.
[Jan 14, 2012 8:50:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Certainly if one calculates the contributed total TeraFLOPS back to GFLOPS per registered device, you get 1,942,059 PII devices as of just now ;>)

--//--
[Jan 14, 2012 9:04:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Interesting perspective :)
[Jan 14, 2012 9:10:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David_L6
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Concerning merging and / or deleting devices....

The people that volunteer their resources (i.e. money) that do the work on these projects have been asking for the ability to do this since before I joined WCG (over 5 years ago). Apparently the tech's are not going to make this happen (for whatever reasons).

Maybe a sticky is needed stating this fact since this question has been coming up for so long???
----------------------------------------

[Jan 14, 2012 2:45:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If one is at the left, necessarily one cannot be at the right. Not at the same time anyway. If it comes down to a vote, I vote for the status quo: leave the existing mechanism in place with all its quirks and idiosyncrasies. And I say that not so much because there is no good to be had in having the capability to effect the delete/merge of deviceNames, but more because I don't want to distract from what I see as the essential purpose of the grid. The contention that the said capability is trivial or easy to implement -- does not justify an automatic go-ahead to proceed with the implementation of the sought capability. In the grand scheme of the grid, the sought capability pales in comparison, and even if it doesn't, I'd rather crunch WUs or do something productive than bother with having or not having the sought capability -- because I can't be at the left and be at the right at the same time.
;
[Jan 14, 2012 6:47:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Your issue I am afraid would be at the lower bottom of the list.

That raises an interesting issue, common to IT projects everywhere. Do you leave something ugly/inefficient forever, just because it's not "important"? In most projects, UI ugliness gets addressed because users are considered important.

Note that the Device Statistics page already avoids displaying data from devices which have returned no results, so doing the same on the Device Manager page would not only be easy, but would be consistent. (Users might want to manage a device that has been recently added, but done nothing yet, but that could be a special case.)
[Jan 15, 2012 2:00:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

snip: "... so doing the same on the Device Manager page would not only be easy, but would be consistent."

My device manager page also hides the old / in-actives with the 7/14 day filter default at top [duh], for total consistency, but *does* show new devices immediately. How else could you associate a new device quickly to a different than the default profile. (the posts that would otherwise follow "I have created a new host, but I cant see it").

--//--
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 15, 2012 7:31:33 AM]
[Jan 15, 2012 7:27:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My device manager page also hides the old / in-actives with the 7/14 day filter default at top

What I was referring to was that the device stats hides the zero result entries no matter what filtering, if any, you give it. If you choose all devices/all devices, it still doesn't list devices with zero results.

Treating new devices specially in the device manager makes sense, as I said. Displaying devices which were created in 2007 and have no results is just plain silly.
[Jan 18, 2012 2:34:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hmmm, you repeat what I said. Your post gave the impression that the device manager did not have a filter, and *nobody* is debating that zero result devices have no place anywhere. They serve no purpose, not even the "returned results audit trail argument" (which is I think to be an overtaken figment of someone's long passed away imagination.. don't know whoever gave that explanation first). Really, nearing 900 million results validated, statistics by big numbers of CPU's and OSses is what's of interest to the scientists to compensate for any fractional differentials [like city based thermometers]. Hard hits of interest are always rerun... science is verification and reproducibility, ad nauseam.

--//--
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 18, 2012 3:03:52 PM]
[Jan 18, 2012 3:01:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pramo
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

And frankly my personal point of view is, that I am happy to have the opportunity from time to time, to display the whole list and spend a minute remembering those good old devices, a few years ago when I started this adventure, their suffering when I was overclocking them to dramatic levels, the tremendous heat, the frequent hardware changes to extract more and more from those poor little things etc. etc.
Yes, I am very happy to say that their sacrifice will never be forgotten. praying

Indeed- It also lets one bring up this old chestnut devilish

[Jan 18, 2012 3:19:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread