Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 438 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
sc_Arks
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Number of devices missing

Hello :)

This is my first post =)

Onely one of my 2 computers is listed in my profile, while boinc is running on both. Aswell as their been running for about 2 days, i still got "no work done" listed.
(They are working, as i give 70% and 100% cpu to the projects).

Just wonder if there is something i am doing wrong :o

Forgive my baad english:P

Thanks
From sc Arks
[Mar 18, 2012 2:11:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Number of devices missing

Hello and welcome both to 'The Machine' and the forum's sc_Arks,

What may be happening, is that, all of the work you've done for the machine that's currently showing 'no work done', is in fact, stuck in the Pending Validation (PV) queue. You can check this by using the Results page and using the filtering options.

Whenever a new machine gets added (be it from a new member, or an existing member adding a different/new machine), that machine gets a copy of all their work sent to someone else's machine as well - so as to 'verify' it (i.e., to ensure that it's returning valid results). Once it's been verified against EACH project (it used to be across all the sciences until earlier on this month), then there's a few projects (FA@H, HFCC, HCC & C4CW) that are allowed to be Zero Redundancy (i.e. only 1 copy sent out and whatever that machine returns, within reasons, is allowed - albeit, for occasional 'reverifying', when the odd Work Unit (WU) gets labeled as 'Inconclusive').

As indicated above, earlier this month, there was a major change made to the system, which resulted in EVERY computer having to be 'reverified' against each project. Prior to this change, it didn't matter which project WU's your computer got checked on, once verified, it was verified across the board. Now, it's against each project - i.e., it may be verified against FA@H, but not HCC. Due to this, the WCG techs have temporarily suspended the 'reliable' class, and so, every computer is having a wingman (i.e. someone else) verify their work. Once enough computers have regained their reliable class for each project, the WCG techs will re-enable this option, which will then allow 'rush' WU's to be created with shorter return deadlines (those which have been created either by someone else missing their deadline or an Inconclusive/Errored WU being returned).

So, in essence, the machine which is showing as having had work completed, will more than likely have had a WU validated (i.e., the wingman has returned his copy as well), whilst the other machine will have to wait until at least 1 WU gets validated to show up in your Device list.
----------------------------------------

[Mar 18, 2012 3:23:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi and a fresh welcome to WCG.

Depends on where you're looking. In some places devices appear immediately such as the My Grid > Device manager, other places not until some valid results have been validated. Best place to check is the My Grid > Result Status page and sorted on Return Time . That puts all the currentcompleted work at top. You can also filter there on any missing devices that have work ''In Progress"

Let us know if the missing one does not show in a few days.
[Mar 18, 2012 3:28:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sc_Arks
Cruncher

Thank you guys for your help :)
[Mar 18, 2012 3:38:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread