Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1140 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
drekidd
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused I seem to have 2 accounts with the same email address?

Hi all, This is a question for site/account admins as I could not find any help in the help section for this type of query:

I noticed that I received 2 emails from WCG
1: re: Computing for Sustainable Water - Project Launch and Webcast, dated: 20120418
2) re: Maintenance Window Notification and Computing for Sustainable Water Webcast - Replay, dated: 20120426

Both were sent to the same email address (my account email address), both had the same user-name in the greeting - so it looks like the same account.. BUT:

The stats. at the end of the email are different!
The telling part is that the join date (and last result date) are different: one is dated "January 25, 2007" and the other "December 21, 2005".

I extrapolate that I somehow have 2 accounts with the same email address.
I saw a thread where someone had 2 accounts with 2 different account names and there's could not be merged, but mine is the same email address and account name! I also cannot differentiate between the 2 as when I login I see just one set of stats (there must be a different password for the same email address? or its a bug?)

Is there a way these can be cleaned-up and merged?

Thanks
[Apr 26, 2012 6:28:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: I seem to have 2 accounts with the same email address?

How to really find confirmation if you have 2 or more accounts, is signing out and follow the "forgot member name" path. Enter your email address and you will receive a message listing all accounts against that email address. Even a space in the name is enough to create an additional member.

It used to be possible to create multiple accounts with the same email address, but that is now blocked, and hopefully prevents erroneous creation of more than one.

--//--
[Apr 26, 2012 6:43:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The stats. at the end of the email are different!

The stats from the first e-mail are not yours, they were sent in error.
There's a post about it somewhere...

This thread and this one
----------------------------------------

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by petehardy at Apr 26, 2012 7:42:18 PM]
[Apr 26, 2012 7:35:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Right, that is the likely explanation, and the "forgot my member name(s)" procedure will proof there's only one, likely.

--//--
[Apr 26, 2012 8:57:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
drekidd
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the responses peeps.

The problem is that the two sets of stats and emails are sent to the same member name, and the same email address, which is clearly wrong. So stating that sending a "forgot member name" request should indicate the problem may be a red herring (i.e in a database you would expect to restrict record keys to be distinct, but when you allow indistinct keys, all bets are off for expected behaviour.. much like y2k :) )

Furthermore, if the ability to create accounts was previously possible and then stopped, then the possibility to do this was stopped, not the effect of previously having done it. My accounts were created ~2005 and 2007, ~5-7 years ago, so anything is possible. Also, as I have inferred, if there was no data cleansing afterwards, then there will be duplicated accounts out there, no? If there are multiple accounts with the same account name, how can we be sure how they will behave? (if the email addresses were different or member names then I agree it would be simpler)

Here is the data from my emails:

Run Time: 10,475 days
Results: 32,922
Last Result: January 31, 2012

Run Time: 602 days
Results: 2,052
Last Result: April 25, 2012

This is not actually far off as I was a user of BOINC and SETI@HOME, then I had to move to WCG, and I remember being confused by the terminology and account info.. it is possible 2 accounts exist (somehow) and these dates (2007 and 2005) could add up... also the result return dates - I switched projects recently (I turn rosetta off and seti on once in a while as when they are both on with WCG there is/was an imbalance in share (even though Rosetta and seti have the same weighting).
The number of results seems right too, as I have used 2 or 3 computers at times, and 1 has been on 24/7 probably since 2005 :)

Also, in one email I am "2 days away from bronze badge for GO Fight Against Malaria!", and in the other I am "3 days from a bronze badge for GO Fight Against Malaria!"

I think that these 2 accounts/stats are for my activity.. but I stand to be corrected with some empirical evidence.

Is there not a way to contact the site/service admins? There must be a team responsible for the data stored about its users?

ps - I did the member name request thingy and I received an email telling me the expected member name (1) matched my email address.
The problem is, as I have shown, is that this is a logical result and does not disprove the possibility of another account/set of stats existing with this same account name.
[Apr 27, 2012 12:55:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello drekidd,
Several people complained about getting the wrong stats on their email after the BOINC server upgrade broke the script that gathers these stats. The WCG staff promised that they would get around to fixing the script. I hope the most recent email had the right stats. If not, I expect the next one will.

You don't have multiple accounts.

smile
Lawrence
[Apr 27, 2012 2:14:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
drekidd
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the response Lawrence.
However I do have a few questions as a result:

Hello drekidd,
Several people complained about getting the wrong stats on their email after the BOINC server upgrade broke the script that gathers these stats.

When was this? I have no idea how this affects me seeing as though I have an account here for some years.
is there a thread you are referring to that you can share?

You don't have multiple accounts. smile

Can you tell me how you know? as I have not seen anything that makes this obvious to me. If you drew that conclusion from what I have said please let me know. If you have access to information that I am aware of, please let me know!

Thanks
[Apr 27, 2012 5:50:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

You don't have two accounts.

Here is what BOINCStats has on you.

http://boincstats.com/search/all_projects.php...10ce1781771744cb08ff00a6c

[Apr 27, 2012 5:58:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
wplachy
Senior Cruncher

Thanks for the response Lawrence.
However I do have a few questions as a result:

Hello drekidd,
Several people complained about getting the wrong stats on their email after the BOINC server upgrade broke the script that gathers these stats.

When was this? I have no idea how this affects me seeing as though I have an account here for some years.
is there a thread you are referring to that you can share?

You don't have multiple accounts. smile

Can you tell me how you know? as I have not seen anything that makes this obvious to me. If you drew that conclusion from what I have said please let me know. If you have access to information that I am aware of, please let me know!

Thanks

This Post in This Thread
Bill P

[Apr 27, 2012 6:33:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink!smile

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Apr 27, 2012 7:06:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread