Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 828 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Run as a service + GPU

I haven't tried or checked on it for a while. Have the guys at Berkeley figured out how to give us the option to run as a service and use GPU yet? Has anyone found a work around to get this to work? I have a borged system that I have permission to use when idle that is upgrading to a high end video card next month but it will also be getting a password put on it to prevent the child from sneaking in and browsing inappropriate material while the parents are gone. Obviously, I am wanting both CPU and GPU to run when parents are away.

Edit: typo
Edit2: I am also aware of parental controls, but the parent doesn't want any annoyances and hoops to jump through when they are on it. So, the simplest is just to put a password on it. The system is a hex core AMD that is mostly used for gaming. So, BOINC will be suspended while it is logged in most of the time.
Edit3: Windows 7 Pemium x64
----------------------------------------

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Jul 31, 2012 1:46:52 AM]
[Jul 31, 2012 1:07:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher
Re: Run as a service + GPU

If you're talking Windows, MS has put in very strict controls against direct access to the hardware. Thus, not likely that Berkeley will ever code an option to include GPU with a service install.

On the other hand, the more entrepreneurial community may well find a way around this restriction and that would be where you would need to look.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Jul 31, 2012 1:48:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Yeah...I knew Microsoft put those restrictions in with Vista/7 and also knew Berkeley didn't think they would get passed it but figured maybe there would be a work around.

Another thought, (I haven't tested this) when the screen saver has the check box "on resume, display login screen" checked, does this pause BOINC in any way? Basically, if I were to not install BOINC as a service and they let the computer go idle and the screen saver came on...would BOINC pause at all during the screen saver or when someone moved the mouse causing the login screen to come up? And if they did but didn't login successfully, would BOINC start back up?

Edit: If BOINC continues to work in this setup, then that would fix my dillema. The only time I would have to worry is when the system gets rebooted from an update and such.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Jul 31, 2012 2:22:32 AM]
[Jul 31, 2012 2:20:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:

Another thought, (I haven't tested this) when the screen saver has the check box "on resume, display login screen" checked, does this pause BOINC in any way? Basically, if I were to not install BOINC as a service and they let the computer go idle and the screen saver came on...would BOINC pause at all during the screen saver or when someone moved the mouse causing the login screen to come up? And if they did but didn't login successfully, would BOINC start back up?

Yes it still runs in this manner. That's how I've got mine (also keeping the kids out wink ).

coffee
cowboy

[Jul 31, 2012 2:52:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

What screen saver do you use? Are you using GPU when doing this and what GPU do you have? How bad is the delay between closing the screen saver and responsiveness of Windows as it releases the GPU resources? I'm just curious because I'm wanting this to be as painless to the owner as possible. I wouldn't want to inadvertantly cause them to turn away from BOINC because of sluggishness.

[Jul 31, 2012 5:16:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
PecosRiverM
Veteran Cruncher
The Great State of Texas
Project Badges:

What screen saver do you use?

Blank
Are you using GPU when doing this and what GPU do you have?

Yes, GTX 560 Ti and ATI 5830's.
How bad is the delay between closing the screen saver and responsiveness of Windows as it releases the GPU resources?

That I'm not sure. On mine I still crunch when logged on. I haven't had too much of a delay tho.

PS. I also power down monitor after 5 min.

coffee
cowboy

[Jul 31, 2012 11:17:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If the object of this thread is verify an install on a "the owner" machine, as in a 3rd party to get first BOINC "non-intrusive" experience, I'd recommend to only set CPU and disable GPU completely through a cc_config.xml setting. When "the owner" has boarded and is happy [Set and Forget], then you'll have better chance on having the person stay with the volunteer computing principle, after a non-positive GPU crunch experience.
[Jul 31, 2012 11:41:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

She currently has GPU on her system running as is without hassle. Unfortunately it is pretty much CAL only for the moment. Too old of a chipset. I can remote in and tweak if there are problems and she is aware it is running. I just didn't want her to have to wait for 5 seconds for the screen to come back. However, PecosRiverM's video cards are the range she is going if not better. So, I don't think she will have a hiccup here. I just know that the BOINC screen saver has much more issues then the standard Windows ones and wanted actual experience advice. I will also be using the new feature to pause BOINC when certain programs are running. Most notable Windows Media Player and her games.

[Jul 31, 2012 9:21:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread