Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 109
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3319783 times and has 108 replies Next Thread
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
BOINC 7.0.40 warning

I tried updating my BOINC client to version 7.0.40 and completed tasks would not upload. Message tab said anonymous platform not supported. Different message that you get now that is ignored so if you're using an app info file do not update. Switched back to 7.0.36 and all is working again.
----------------------------------------
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Dec 9, 2012 11:59:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kateiacy
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: BOINC 7.0.40 warning

Was it just GPU tasks that wouldn't upload, or any kind of tasks?

I updated the BOINC client on one of my Linux boxes to 7.0.40 and it has uploaded a DSFL result without incident. It is not running any HCC GPU tasks right now, and it has never had an app-info.xml file, so the circumstance is very different.

[Dec 10, 2012 12:56:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Was it just GPU tasks that wouldn't upload, or any kind of tasks?

I updated the BOINC client on one of my Linux boxes to 7.0.40 and it has uploaded a DSFL result without incident. It is not running any HCC GPU tasks right now, and it has never had an app-info.xml file, so the circumstance is very different.

The error message involves the anonymous platform that BOINC sees when using an app_info file on GPU tasks. It's the same message I saw when trying to run multiple tasks on my 32 bit XP system. It would crunch and upload them but it refused to report them. Looks like the developers changed something in the 7.0.40 64bit version to cause the same problem. I've sent them an e-mail, we'll see what happens. Thanks for your input Kate.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Dec 10, 2012 2:21:04 AM]
[Dec 10, 2012 2:20:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The developers spend a Friday to Saturday nightly debug session and a private build drop of 7.0.41 has already been released on Sunday [it has no version number]. Whilst, like Kate, I've been running 7.0.40 but only CPU, to test the new app_config.xml function [See "BOINC future drool" thread] which allows to properly control how many tasks of each science can run, both CPU and GPU.

edit: No upload issues, running this under W7 and W8, in 64 bit build.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 10, 2012 9:55:39 AM]
[Dec 10, 2012 8:44:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

I tried updating my BOINC client to version 7.0.40 and completed tasks would not upload. Message tab said anonymous platform not supported. Different message that you get now that is ignored so if you're using an app info file do not update. Switched back to 7.0.36 and all is working again.

Could you please test this again.
I had running 7.0.40 on a 64bit Vista machine and no app_info for WCG.
So, I downloaded some GPU-tasks for POEM for the machine with BOINC v7.0.40, because I'm using an app_info for POEM.
After finishing the POEM-tasks they uploaded and reported well, so no issue.
Now I'm doubting, whether your problem was caused by the client.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Crystal Pellet at Dec 10, 2012 10:03:16 AM]
[Dec 10, 2012 9:53:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Could you please test this again.
I had running 7.0.40 on a 64bit Vista machine and no app_info for WCG.
So, I downloaded some GPU-tasks for POEM for the machine with BOINC v7.0.40, because I'm using an app_info for POEM.
After finishing the POEM-tasks they uploaded and reported well, so no issue.
Now I'm doubting, whether your problem was caused by the client.

Might be a WCG thing only. Tried it on a second machine, Same problem. Could be some conflict with the new app_config.xml function Sek was talking about.

[Dec 10, 2012 11:12:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Has anyone who jumped on 7.0.40 actually tested app_config to see if it functions to control how many GPU tasks run concurrent on a task card, AND important too, how it behaves with multiple cards of different capability (without app_info to prevent conflict)?

ATM, I'm quite happy to now have in effect an exclusive core on the CEP2 capable machines, always having 3 CEP2 waiting, 1 running that have aged in the buffer, to step in [FIFO] principle]. This with a 1 day buffer.

edit: strike "task", read "card"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 10, 2012 5:14:03 PM]
[Dec 10, 2012 11:44:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Has anyone who jumped on 7.0.40 actually tested app_config to see if it functions to control how many GPU tasks run concurrent on a task, AND important too, how it behaves with multiple cards of different capability (without app_info to prevent conflict)?
I assume that, because there are no GPU-WUs available at the interim here at WCG, you meant testing BOINC_v7.0.40 on other grids that has available GPU-WUs. If so, the results there would have nothing for WCG: no <note1>experience-gain</note1> for WCG, and no WCG WUs done.

ATM, I'm quite happy to now have in effect an exclusive core on the CEP2 capable machines, always having 3 CEP2 waiting, 1 running that have aged in the buffer, to step in [FIFO] principle]. This with a 1 day buffer.
If I understand correctly, the promise of app_config is to have the possibility to run a number of tasks simul, and not tasks 'waiting' while 1 (task) is running.

note1: What may be working for other grids does not guarantee it will work for WCG.
;
; andgridPost#729
;
[Dec 10, 2012 4:52:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Has anyone who jumped on 7.0.40 actually tested app_config to see if it functions to control how many GPU tasks run concurrent on a task, AND important too, how it behaves with multiple cards of different capability (without app_info to prevent conflict)?

No multiple cards, but some experience (without using an app_info) I wanna share with Rob and other interested people:
I simplified the app_config.xml, because the gpu-part is of no interest for cep2 and removed the max_concurrent in the hcc-app,
because the number of concurrent tasks should be controlled by <gpu_usage>, if you don't run HCC CPU.:
<app_config>
<app>
<name>cep2</name>
<max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
</app>
<app>
<name>hcc1</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>
At first every seems to working as expected. The max of 1 CEP-task and 2 GPU HCC were running.

But after receiving new HCC tasks one of the running HCC tasks change the state to "Waiting to run".
Even suspending all CPU tasks couldn't force this 2nd task to resume again.
Before customizing the app_config I had the same experience, but wasn't sure, whether it was caused by a starting cep-task.
Now I knew it too was caused by receiving new GPU-tasks for WCG.

[Dec 10, 2012 5:19:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for that. I too took out the GPU bit for CPU only tasks, and went overboard to limit all sciences to have maximum 3 (of 8), with a 5 way science selection. This is in hopes that eventually the buffer will be mixed enough that any slot freed will be taken, and of course the CEP2 aging on and on [a forced slightly overcache of about 36 hours worth on top of the one running, to always get first pick when the previous CEP2 finishes. The experience over the coming week will tell if any core runs into idle because there is not at least 3 other sciences having enough work queued in addition to CEP2, but with 1 day cache, 37 tasks waiting to get their turn, anticipating this to be sporadic [4 are well mixed, but the 5th has none ATM ... HCC-CPU]

An HCC CPU task switching to "waiting to run" when a first HCC-GPU was received (if I understand correctly, you had none before left), would be the proper and expected. The HCC-GPU task will grab a CPU core. A HCC-CPU task going to WtR, when a new HCC-CPU was received... not right, lest it's a priority repair job and your queue is stretched.

My plan was to drop the private build boinc.exe in, but did not get around to it, so now waiting for the formal test release.
[Dec 10, 2012 5:36:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 109   Pages: 11   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread