Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 957
Posts: 957   Pages: 96   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 174738 times and has 956 replies Next Thread
Dayle Diamond
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
MCM Progress Reports

So far, 23 Million results have been returned, with a total of 12465 processor-years donated this project.

For just under two months, that's incredible!

I'd really like to understand the scope of the project but I'm having difficulty finding any concrete numbers about where we are and what we've achieved.

The latest progress report on the official page says "The MCM project is in the final stages before Beta."
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~juris//MCMpr.html
[Jan 4, 2014 11:13:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: MCM Progress Reports

Yes, now that the project seems (as far as I can see from an end-user perspective), to have smoothed out, and also that the Christmas/New Year period is pretty much over, hopefully the project scientists will respond to this very valid question.
----------------------------------------

[Jan 4, 2014 11:26:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Keep in mind that the MCM project is designed to use a heuristic algorithm to try to decide what markers are useful in which cases. This means that our computers are deciding how much work (and of what kinds) needs to be done.

Lawrence
[Jan 5, 2014 1:20:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

So far, 23 Million results have been returned, with a total of 12465 processor-years donated this project.

For just under two months, that's incredible!

I'd really like to understand the scope of the project but I'm having difficulty finding any concrete numbers about where we are and what we've achieved.

The latest progress report on the official page says "The MCM project is in the final stages before Beta."
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~juris//MCMpr.html

I did some speculating about the size/scope of this project here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/...ead,36039_offset,0#443363
Perhaps the scientists will eventually let us know what they have in mind for the project, but this is the best I could do with very limited information. I could be way off base, but only the scientists know for sure.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 5, 2014 3:37:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I thought I would do a projection based on 1 billion(10^9) work units and the current 30 day smoothed(average) completion rate. As of today I would project another 5.023 years of crunching (1833.5 days). Just speculating.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 6, 2014 7:48:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I thought I would do a projection based on 1 billion(10^9) work units and the current 30 day smoothed(average) completion rate. As of today I would project another 5.023 years of crunching (1833.5 days). Just speculating.
Cheers

We estimate about 350,000,000 work units in total for the project (counting redundancy) -- about 80,000,000 to 100,000,000 work units per cancer.

Thank you Christian A. Cumbaa. It is nice to have a target. I will recalculate. That is about 1/3 of my original guess so at the present rate we have about 1.66 years of crunching to go on this project. So, with the roughest of estimates that makes the end about August of 2015. Since they have a very easy to track numbering system for their WU, periodic progress and estimates of completion could be estimated fairly easily. But, who knows, the scientists may add or subtract parts of the project as times goes on. Full speed ahead, crunch on.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 10, 2014 2:00:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

From project detail overview: "Initially, the research will focus on lung and ovarian cancer, followed by prostate, pancreatic and breast cancers. The project is designed to accommodate additional cancers in the future."
[Jan 10, 2014 9:31:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Yes, thanks for coming back and providing some more details Christian.

[Jan 10, 2014 2:54:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Using the last 30 day average and a 350,000,000 total WU estimate, the projected completion date is 9-22-2015. Just started getting WU from batch #1400 out of 17,500.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 13, 2014 7:39:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Here is an indication of the variability of the MCM1 work units.

Edit again:Fixed X-Axis labels
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at Jan 13, 2014 11:28:37 PM]
[Jan 13, 2014 10:33:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 957   Pages: 96   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread