Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2108 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
cool Getting the software to take full advantage of my PC

I was just turned on to the community grid and installed it on my computer, however its not really using my computer to it's fullest. My CPU is not getting over 40% usage. I was wondering if there was any way to allow the program to use more CPU cycles and use the system to the fullest.

My system specs are
3.0 GHz P4 HT
2 GB DDR 3200
2 SATA 10,000 raptor HD's, in raid 0

Thanks
[Aug 22, 2005 2:54:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Getting the software to take full advantage of my PC

Hi

Welcome to WCG and the forums smile

Have you tried with HT disabled?
Not sure it'll make much difference as I have never used Intel.

HD allocation set to 10gb?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 22, 2005 3:18:01 AM]
[Aug 22, 2005 3:17:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

It's misleading. Since you are running hyperthreading, your computer is busy, but the maximum of all tasks together will be reported as "50%".

If you are running another heavy task in addition, you may consider turning hyperthreading OFF to eliminate a lot of thrashing to use the Floating Point Unit. There's only one, and the grid program makes extensive use of it.

If you are mainly crunching, it should not make much difference.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 1 times, last edit by retsof at Aug 22, 2005 3:21:09 AM]
[Aug 22, 2005 3:19:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Task Manager in Windows does not understand hyperthreading on the Intel Pentium 4. It reports percentages as though you have 2 CPUs. So the maximum percentage for a single-thread program is 50%. As Retsof pointed out, Rosetta uses the Floating Point Unit (FPU) on the CPU intensively. So, whatever Task Manager says, you are probably making maximum use of your computer.

Hyperthreading is fine, as long as you realize that the monitor utilities built in to Windows do not describe it well.
[Aug 22, 2005 11:19:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

Please look here. You mentioned 40% instead of close to 50%. There may be something in there using a good deal of CPU that you may not know about. I would look for that other 10% and see if I could find out what is using it. ... A computer that is not doing anything but running the WCG should be reporting near 50% on the WCG.

Regards.
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[Aug 22, 2005 12:21:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
applause Re: Getting the software to take full advantage of my PC

hyper threading was the problem, turned it off and the CPU is pegged at 100% and the software is running faster now. Think I will just leave it off as all my video encoding programs do the same.

Thanks
[Aug 22, 2005 6:15:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
RT
Master Cruncher
USA - Texas - DFW
Project Badges:

Your readings will have changed now that you have turned off the HT. Your total throughput will remain very nearly the same. Kind Regards.
One of your friends in Texas cowboy
RT Website Hosting

[Aug 23, 2005 11:43:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

hi! smile
[Aug 23, 2005 8:29:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:

hyper threading was the problem, turned it off and the CPU is pegged at 100% and the software is running faster now. Think I will just leave it off as all my video encoding programs do the same.

Thanks

Remember, it was pegged before, it's just that Windows doesn't know how to accurately represent the CPU utilization with HT turned on.

HT may increase or decrease the throughput of Rosetta, but any affect that HT has will be so minimal as to be negligable. The reason for this is because it runs at the lowest priority and thus everything else gets first shot at the CPU.

As for other programs, it depends. Sometimes HT increases throughput, sometimes it reduces it. You just have to benchmark with what you normally use and find out for yourself.
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Aug 26, 2005 4:47:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread