Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3597 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Ripple Labs team change today

Personally, I'd abort the work since if it completes, it's going to give you hacker more XRPs. I'd tell him go **** himself by not letting him get even a single additional XRP.
----------------------------------------

[Mar 12, 2014 10:56:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Couldn't he just suspend the work instead of aborting? Then resume after the account is fixed again?

[Mar 12, 2014 11:39:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Just found this thread and have to say that this is a really **** turn of events, Im on the ripple team by choice seeing as I have been solo crunching prior to the ripple thing so I thought why not. Peeps getting hacked by leeching wankers for some xrp is pathetic.
I do sincerely hope that this is clamped down on, and if it cant be then wcg tells ripple labs to sod off and detaches/zeros' out the RL team - nuke the site from orbit, only way to be sure.
I mean what other info could they have gleaned from getting to the point of changing your team? email contact address? a password that you might use somewhere else?, enough meta to go beyond just xrp farming and get more personal info?
Mabe im talking myself into a needlessly-worrying mindset but is RL effectively drawing attention from online thieves by putting a torchlight on the wgc and its memebers? attracting the shitheads of the web here?

agh its late im probably just ranting a bit, sorry.

*edited to appropriate forum language - ErikaT
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ErikaT at Mar 13, 2014 12:38:02 AM]
[Mar 13, 2014 12:27:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
poppageek
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I have an idea. Let's all calm down. WCG has said they are looking into it, give them a chance. Most likely it is some "hackers" trying to get some free points for XRP with Ripple Labs. A few people do not mean that the entire team on RL is bad or that the massive amount of work being done is not worthwhile.

While annoying and troublesome this hardly cause for a knee jerk reaction or witch hunt. Hopefully the techs can get an IP# or some other clue as to what is going on. I am betting CFG would help if asked.

And another thing I joined RL, left a few weeks later and again rejoined after another week or so. ALL my points followed me. Just like joining and leaving any other team. They are still your points.

Cheers!
[Mar 13, 2014 1:37:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Tech team, please keep us informed on this matter. I wonder how this was technically even possible, i mean with leaked account keys, hacked passwords etc. ? Just googled a little, seems like wcg has been the only project with team steals to rl. After reviewing the forums at rl and despite listed partners ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewOurPartners.do ), i feel like my browser could use some cache reset not talking
[Mar 13, 2014 1:44:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AgrFan
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I changed my password and my clients are sending/receiving work fine. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully the WCG staff will have more information soon.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AgrFan at Mar 13, 2014 2:44:30 AM]
[Mar 13, 2014 2:42:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

Personally, I'd abort the work since if it completes, it's going to give you hacker more XRPs. I'd tell him go **** himself by not letting him get even a single additional XRP.
Points are not added to a team job by job.
Your total points for a day are added during the end-of-UTC-day stats to the team you belong at this time.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Mar 13, 2014 3:29:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

Points are not added to a team job by job.
Your total points for a day are added during the end-of-UTC-day stats to the team you belong at this time.

That's correct. If you get changed to another team by whatever means, you can change back immediately before the end-of-day stats start/midnight UTC and your points for the entire day will go to your correct team. The scumbuckets pulling this stunt depend on two things, your not noticing that you have changed teams and that you have a easily breakable password for your WCG username. Scribe noted in another thread that the WCG folks may not want to disclose how this has happened to avoid giving out useful information to others wanting to hack us. Still, I don't think it's very complicated. The key is being able to log in to the WCG website under your username. If your password is weak/simple/easily guessed, once a hacker is in, they simply go to your team page, quit your current team, go to the Ripple team page and join there. There is probably more that has to be done on the Ripple side to get your stolen points assigned to their account. It all starts with a password that is weak to begin with. It would be nice to hear from the Ripple folks here. I though they had someone watching their team thread? It would be nice if they could see which account a hacked username's points got assigned to on the Ripple side. I would think/hope that would be a way to ID the lowlifes responsible. WCG has banned a very small number of folks over the years for mis-behavior. I'd hope Ripple would take a firm, hard line with these culprits too.
Join/Website/IMODB

[Mar 13, 2014 7:16:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

To me I cannot understand their actions. They do not seem to hijack your account, otherwise the password would be changed and you would not be able to log in and change it back to your correct team. It nall seems a little weird devilish
[Mar 13, 2014 7:27:27 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keithhenry
Ace Cruncher
Senile old farts of the world ....uh.....uh..... nevermind
Project Badges:

To me I cannot understand their actions. They do not seem to hijack your account, otherwise the password would be changed and you would not be able to log in and change it back to your correct team. It nall seems a little weird devilish

Not much about this sort of lowlife makes sense to begin with. Not changing your password is probably intentional. Changing it would increase the likelihood of your noticing that you've been switched to the RL team. They just need to correctly guess what it is to switch you. Once they know it, they could keep switching you, at least until you change your password. Bottom line is it pays not to use simple, easily guessed passwords for anything on the web. It's amazing the number of people that use things like PASSWORD or PASSWORD1 for a password!
Join/Website/IMODB

[Mar 13, 2014 7:36:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread