Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1887 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Private Message System is needed/wanted

To make this project 'World Community Grid' a greater project a Private Message System would be great. All too often team founders are not available, they drop out of projects just like many members do and then the team finds out there is no leadership and it takes months to replace a founder. My Team, "US Navy" have every month what we call 'Project of the Month' (POTM) just like a few other teams do. We ask team members to crunch work units for another project or cause to help out New Teams and to maintain a high standing in the community for the Team.

This month just for example our 'Project of the Month" for April 2014 is World Community Grid @ Home. Each member of the US Navy team can contact all the members by PM and we do get good turn out. (Of course not all members allow PM's to be sent which is set-up when the join any project).

The projects only let a member send out three or so PM's in about a minute or two and than there is an automatic message that shows up stating "you are not allowed to send etc. etc. and a few minutes later you can send about two messages. This type system will keep down advertisements.

Been asking for this PM system in the WCG for sometime and I do believe it will help this project have better communication among team members and other teams in this project.
[Mar 27, 2014 2:21:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:
Re: Private Message System is needed/wanted

Private messaging, and other improvements, were discussed at length and with passion in this thread

You will see that WCG has no plans for an update.
----------------------------------------

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Mar 27, 2014 3:53:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Was hoping for a positive answer to my posting but that seems to be out of the question for years to come. Crunching for this project because my 'US Navy' team has it as a "Project of the Month" but in good faith I can't continue to work this project at this time. When communications between members is open I will be back.
[Mar 27, 2014 10:36:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

...but in good faith I can't continue to work this project at this time. When communications between members is open I will be back

Yank1... I didn't understand... question: are you not going to continue crunching for WCG because there is no PM or for another reason?

Thanks, CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Mar 28, 2014 12:06:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sparky66
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

He is very competitive. Not many members from various projects frequent our group's home page, so Yank takes the extra effort to communicate via the project's forum/message boards. This is about the only project where we can't communicate internally with other team members.

Stopping crunching for this project totally is overkill IMHO, but it shows how passionate he is about this.

Regardless, you'll see an increased presence from the US Navy team in April, from those of us who follow our "Project of the Month" voting.

[Mar 28, 2014 12:14:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
twilyth
Master Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

We definitely need a private message function here but that would probably take a lot of coding to set up.

My suggestion would be to encourage WCG to upgrade the forum software since virtually any other software they get will have this ability.

It will also mean less work for them in the long run since they won't have to crack open the code every time something needs to be changed - just patch applications from the vendor.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by twilyth at Mar 28, 2014 12:28:46 AM]
[Mar 28, 2014 12:27:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

sparky66... thanks for info. I realize that the PM function would be nice to have, but to not donate to a project because there's no PM is... is... ah heck, I can't even think of something to say because I'm so perplexed. I'm curious how Yank1 would explain it to a person dieing of cancer or AIDs?
I want to thank your US Navy team for selecting the WCG for "Project of the month" applause . I think it's totally awesome that the WCG was selected. if you don't mind, can you tell us more about your group and what parameters you took into account to nominate the WCG?

Thanks,

CJSL

Gotta keep crunching.... there's a world to save !!!
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Mar 28, 2014 3:04:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

This system works because there is communication to all members of a team. Not just to a projects team but to all the teams that are 'US Navy' team.

But there is already an existing facility where a Team Captain can send an e-mail to all Team Members (if they allow) which should satisfy the PM need to communicate to members wink
[Mar 28, 2014 3:21:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

Any time there is an effort to stop communication between members of any group there is a problem.

I'm pretty sure there is not an effort to stop communication... there is possibly a lack of effort to improve communication. Big difference.
Thanks for explaining the selection process and thanks for participating in the WCG. It is really appreciated.

CJSL

Gotta keep crunching... there's a world to save !!!
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Mar 29, 2014 1:56:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Now that we're soon moving to Krembil. May I bring back the request for a PM system in the forum?

From time to time, it would be helpful, to be able to PM a specific poster, instead of having to post everything in the forum.

[Sep 29, 2021 11:13:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread