Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 51
Posts: 51   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7538 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
Theocharis Anastopoulos
Cruncher
Greece
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: What motivates you to participate and who have you recruited?

Hello fellow crunchers,
I joined to help change the world, help mankind. Using boinc only for WCG. Big factor was (as someone above said) results will be published, not sold.
I have recruited almost 25 people.
[Jun 2, 2014 9:12:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alged
Master Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

My son is directly afflicted with myopathy; i contribute since Decrypthon was launched more broadly on the eve of HCMD2
I think participation in research on a daily basis thru crunching has more value than annual money to charities.
You may bypass these but your computer is in use everyday.

After HCMD2 i stayed for these projects abt neglected tropical diseases.

One Mac laptop and two Apple desk computers crunching at home. Dont know if 2 or 3 people recruited some time ago are still crunching.
----------------------------------------

[Jun 4, 2014 10:53:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tiaem
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I was at a blood drive last week, after the drawing I was talking to some really nice old people at the snack table, I managed to recruit 2 more members. I also managed to convince 2 of my friends to show up for the blood drive. The greatest look on the nurses face when she says "you're sixteen and this is your third time donating?"
[Jul 22, 2014 5:26:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

That's awesome your donating blood,
I contribute to WCG,
because they mostly don't want my blood anymore.
Too old broken down,
visited too many countries including the one they worried most about,
NORWAY LOL,
I guess they had a mad cow disease a while ago,
and washington state where I was donating had a mad cow thing too.
But they were worried about NORWAY LMAO!

[Aug 1, 2014 6:08:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Thargor
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I originally started with grid-computing in the late 90's, in University, first with distributed.net in its earlier days and then moved onto SETI@Home, and then onto United Devices' cancer-research project as I thought medical research would be more helpful. After a while, when that project started to dwindle a bit, I moved back on to distributed.net and eventually my interest in grid-computing dropped to zero and I didn't bother any more after I graduated from Uni in 2000.

It was only when my Nan became very ill and was stuck in a hospice, just under 3 years ago, that grid-computing popped back into my mind and, from there, I easily found BOINC and WCG. Over the time, I've had access to various bits and pieces of test-kit through work and WCG's been perfect for stress-testing them, as and when required. More recently, have rented a 24-thread dedicated server and will likely be keeping that running 24/7 for the foreseeable future.

On the grounds of recruiting others, I've had some joy in getting friends/colleagues to briefly give it a go, but I guess they don't see the long-term appeal as they tend to let their efforts drop after a while and don't bother continuing to help out.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thargor at Sep 3, 2014 12:52:02 PM]
[Sep 3, 2014 12:49:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

If I remember correctly my first attempts in distributed computing were in 2006. I think first project was folding@home using boinc.
I'm not sure why I have left boinc/distributed computing for a long time. However. Last year I assembled a new computer for my hobby photography. Sure this new computer needed to be stress tested. Boinc came back into my mind and here I am.

I was really surprised how many different projects came up in the years I was absent. I'm not sure how I found wcg. Perhaps I saw the badges in a signature of a team member?!? Or was it the fact that I searched for projects that provide more than one application for wuprop?!?

The projects hosted by wcg and the fact that the results are/will be published and not sold are very interesting and important to me. So it is my favorite boinc project.

Ok. Make a long story short. I'm glad to be here and like supporting wcg projects.

[Sep 3, 2014 2:50:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
johnlod
Cruncher
Ireland
Project Badges:

I think it is a little bit magical that something we can buy in the high street can connect up to a facility that allows scientists cure diseases and solve other complex problems. Can't think of anything else in my house that gets anywhere near that level of fantastic-ness.

I have been doing this since UD and this year I had to retire 2 old PCs in the summer that between then managed to send in over 3000 results to WCG. When I turned them off for the last time, I actually thanked them.

I have 2 i7's running now and in the last few months they have nearly caught up with the 2 old PCs that had been running for years.

[Nov 15, 2014 2:07:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What motivated me to start grid computing?

I am a cancer survivor.

I saw a press release in the spring of 2001 for UD. I thought, great, my computer can use its extra cycles for a worthy cause. I stayed there until they closed down.

Searching for aliens and prime numbers didn't interest me, so I followed my online friends to WCG to 'crunch for cancer research'.

But my old computer couldn't handle BOINC very well, so I stopped crunching. Then it died. I got a laptop this time, but I didn't start crunching again, due to the heat.

Recently I got another PC, so I came back.

Sadly, I have not been able to convince others to join. sad
[Nov 15, 2014 7:04:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I originally joined BOINC to run SETI back in 2010, but stopped after a while since I wasn't sure if it was worth the power costs and emissions. Last year I finally got a power meter so I could calculate the actual costs of doing this. For the emissions problem; unfortunately I can't run the computers on solar being in an apartment and all, but I found that I could buy renewable energy credits to at least be able to claim that it's clean energy - currently I use 100% wind credits from Arcadia, which are still pretty cheap; a couple bucks per month per computer. With that taken care of I've been crunching 24/7 since November.

The reason I do this is because I would like to know that I'm doing at least some good. I also donate money to various environmental organizations, but it's not much, making close to minimum wage. It's also pretty unrewarding, pouring your hard-earned money into a bottomless pit and hoping it does some good. So I decided to put more focus on donating computer time instead of money since it uses a skill I already have - building fast computers to play PC games. So far I've overclocked my gaming computer and stuck a massive heatsink on it to improve it's crunching power, and built a new Linux computer with a 4ghz AMD Vishera 8-core as a dedicated cruncher.

Currently I'm running all of the WCG projects with emphasis on CEP since environmentalism is more my thing, and I also run a lot of ClimatePrediction.net on the other computer since they have a ton of Linux workunits in queue, and I've noticed scientists mention in some books on climate change and in the IPCC reports that computing power is a limitation, and always seem to be calling for more modeling.
Once I can get some fast internet I'm going to start running the Tor relay again, and I also do a lot of Zooniverse projects.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to recruit anyone. Nobody seems to build computers much anymore, and everyone here seems to have the "I'll be dead by then" attitude.

Long Live WCG.
[May 4, 2015 7:36:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
cool Re: What motivates you to participate and who have you recruited?

in '92. my grandma died from a cancer...so I decided to help out anyway I can...even though my passion get me to mech.uni...

so, arround '99. a SETi@home with nice screen saver...so I installed it, but after 2y & no results - switched everything I've got on a GRID.org (UD phylantrophic org.) & cancer research -> seemed like sthg that would give more results in the near future...also many other research project came on GRID.org...
when UD came in financial difficulties & GRID.org was shuting down -> I switched to WCG in November of 2006, continued crunching...when the UDagent died, I switched computers to BOINC...participated in so many researches here, mainly going for a goal: cancer research, but also any of the terminal illnesses we came across (HIV, Dengue, Ebola, etc.)...
what makes me going?
nobody should have terminal illness...hopefully we all get to die of old age... wink

right now I have about 10 devices in my home & over 100 installations around the local site...crunching even from SIEMENS Croatia dept...so all my CPUs are dedicated to WCG! wink

recently (from last year) I've returned to SETI@home with GPUs...running only 3cards makes me in top 25% of the SETi@home (recently was top 5%, but guys keep investing more & more)...why comming back?
they've lunched an AstroPulsar app, searching for pulsars...so it's nice to find something like that in Space...maybe one day, some of us get to name some of them? biggrin
also, tried out GPUgrid, Einstein@home & Asteroids@home on GPUs...with those apps running I can't work...while SETi@home works as I write to you right now! cool

also, I've recruited my neighbour & one guy I don't even know...probably from a link on FB or twitter?! cool
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Edit 2 times, last edit by KLiK at May 4, 2015 10:57:54 AM]
[May 4, 2015 10:54:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 51   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread