Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1598 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Question about valid tasks

Hi all,

I've seen all of my valid WUs except for one skipped the last job after giving an "Application exited with RC = 0x1" message during the second to last job.

I'd like to know what does the last job consist of and why my laptop (Win 8.1 64 bit, Intel core i7 4700MQ, 4 GB RAM) skips the last job of the WU almost always. I noticed that the only WU which didn't skip any job is one of the shortest, however it isn't the shortest one.

Is there something I can do to avoid this? I'm running one WU at a time without crunching any other project along with CEP, at most I'm surfing the web while crunching. I crunch 24/7 (I don't suspend BOINC nor suspend/ibernate O/S) and leave application in memory as suggested.

Greetings

EDIT
I set no restrictions about CPU usage and the following about RAM memory:

• Use no more than: 90.0 % of memory while computer in use
  • Use no more than: 90.0 % of memory while computer idle
  • Use no more than: 75.0 % of virtual memory

My CPU is used less than 15% by CEP and the crunching requires only 65 MB of RAM memory size so I guess the return code isn't caused by insufficient hardware resources. My CPU works at reduced frequency (2.4 GHz instead of 3.4 GHz) because of OEM restriction to avoid overheating but in demanding projects like Primegrid it didn't hinder the crunching in any way so I suppose this isn't the cause of 0x1 RC. On message boards of some projects I've read that Hyper Threading could be a nuisance but in my PC BIOS isn't allowed to disable it.

EDIT 8/5/15
I've received a bunch of WUs shorter than earlier ones and among them the WUs whose all seven jobs are performed are a greater number than before. Strangely, this WUs show a longer estimated computation size than the previous ones but their runtimes are shorter. confused
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 5, 2015 9:35:53 AM]
[Jul 28, 2015 10:57:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Question about valid tasks

I've also tried to remove the frequency limitation thus crunching a WU in less then three hours but the return code 0x1 didn't vanished so it shouldn't be caused by a run time exceeding a time limit (assuming there's one like an old version of the application of wich I've read about in this forum).
[Jul 29, 2015 8:13:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Do the results turn valid or error on the Result Status page? If valid, don't worry about it. It's a scientist non-problem.
[Jul 29, 2015 8:39:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

As I've already said the WUs are valid.

I'd like to know what last job consists of since some other jobs have been briefly explained already but not this one.
[Jul 29, 2015 9:37:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have one that ran so far 16 hours 41 min on CPU with no check points I know its going to error....and I'll go back to getting checked again....oh well out of the 1,265 this little guy ran so far it's the only one I ever seen do that

Project Name: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
Created: 07/28/2015 10:40:36
Name: E231972_674_S.296.C36H34N2O2S1.DFAQIWCKKOCKEX-UHFFFAOYSA-N.15_s1_14
Minimum Quorum: 1
Replication: 1

I bet it's toxic too...... Well it checked at 16:52:02 that's better then not at all I guess
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 31, 2015 7:06:23 PM]
[Jul 31, 2015 5:51:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

How do you see when a checkpoint is created?

TIA
[Aug 1, 2015 5:51:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

How do you see when a checkpoint is created?

TIA

In Boinc Manager, click on the task, then click on the properties tab on the left.

[Aug 1, 2015 6:48:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have one that ran so far 16 hours 41 min on CPU with no check points I know its going to error....and I'll go back to getting checked again....oh well out of the 1,265 this little guy ran so far it's the only one I ever seen do that

Project Name: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
Created: 07/28/2015 10:40:36
Name: E231972_674_S.296.C36H34N2O2S1.DFAQIWCKKOCKEX-UHFFFAOYSA-N.15_s1_14
Minimum Quorum: 1
Replication: 1

I bet it's toxic too...... Well it checked at 16:52:02 that's better then not at all I guess

I got one that was toxic. Ran 18 hours with no checkpoint and errored because of that:

E231980_ 640_ S.298.C36H24N6O2.VVCBRWSOHUDYHK-UHFFFAOYSA-N.8_ s1_ 14_ 0--

My PC is probably average to above average for speed. Task is now sent to a wingman, who hasn't returned results yet. Too bad. What bothers me a little bit is that it appears I now need a wingman for all clean energy tasks until my PC is again deemed "reliable".
[Edit 1 times, last edit by littlepeaks at Aug 1, 2015 4:42:09 PM]
[Aug 1, 2015 4:41:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

By toxic what do you mean?
[Aug 1, 2015 4:55:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I was using Siedentopf's expression (toxic). I am assuming that he meant everyone who runs this work unit will error out because of not completing the first task of the WU within 18 hours (I may have assumed wrong).
[Aug 1, 2015 8:32:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread