Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1439 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
rose Too hot to compute

I just wanted to explain why my computing dropped so much this summer.
We've had a record setting hot summer -more than doubling our ave. # of days in 80's & 90's.
My room where computer is and i work on it, was too often in mid-80's +.

My computer runs hot when it's doing a lot of this work and with it being so hot in here........ well....
enough is enough!

We're cooling off again and I've already started running BOINC World Community Grid &
Rosetta Stone projects again. Happy to help--wish more people did!

[Sep 1, 2015 8:09:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:
Re: Too hot to compute

rac-ram,
Welcome to the forums.
You are not the only one who has to curtail crunching when the weather is hot. I'm glad to hear it's cooling off where you are. Good luck with your crunching.
----------------------------------------

[Sep 1, 2015 9:20:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

rac-ram... what you describe is normal and common. You will find posts where crunchers use the 'puters to warm their house in the winter ! Welcome to the forums, happy crunching !

CJSL

Crunching till my ears fall off !!!
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Sep 1, 2015 11:38:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[CSF] Thomas Dupont
Veteran Cruncher

Welcome to the forums, happy crunching !

+1 cool
[Sep 2, 2015 6:17:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

I just wanted to explain why my computing dropped so much this summer.
We've had a record setting hot summer -more than doubling our ave. # of days in 80's & 90's.
My room where computer is and i work on it, was too often in mid-80's +.

My computer runs hot when it's doing a lot of this work and with it being so hot in here........ well....
enough is enough!

We're cooling off again and I've already started running BOINC World Community Grid &
Rosetta Stone projects again. Happy to help--wish more people did!

absolutely MUST HAVE 4 a laptop is program like TThrottle, link here: http://efmer.com/b/

so, install it & select d max temp that u r comfortable with...& put BOINC on 100% of CPU time...TThrottle will do d rest of it! wink

btw, I'm running on several different laptops...Toshiba, IBM/Lenovo, Dell & Fujitsu/Siemens can run about 80-85% of Tjunc...
HP & Compaq should be run a little slower, 70-80% of Tjunc...
that is my experience! wink

btw, I don't use prog like that on desktops...why?
have a BIG coolers & don't have problem with temp...4 now! wink
also, HW is cheap 4 me...'cause I run older versions of XEONs & similar CPUs...

also, noticed that room temp. got down in my computing room...just from throttling laptops! maybe u should try it?
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Sep 2, 2015 6:28:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hahaha yea I know the feeling! Few years back when I was living in Australia we would get around 40c(104F) during summer, my room didn't have air conditioning so it wasn't much fun waking up in a pool of sweat every morning. lol.

I didn't run any BOINC projects at the time but if I did it probably would have killed my computer easily.
[Sep 24, 2015 9:38:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread