Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1534 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Promoting WCG through my blog

As an ex-cruncher, I still try to promote WCG (and BOINC) through my blog. Recently BOINC got a new "wallpaper". I added it into my templates. Here is my first post, for FightAids@home, with the "wallpaper".

new post
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mitrichr at Jan 18, 2016 10:38:19 PM]
[Oct 1, 2015 9:35:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:
Re: Promoting WCG throuigh my blog

Blog looks great, but why an "ex-cruncher" ? I think it's great that people like you promote the work that WCG is doing.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Oct 1, 2015 12:10:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I had problems with overheating in three computers. I also got a little crazy with O.C.D. as a cruncher. If you look at my boincstats records, I think I did my job for as long as I could.
[Oct 2, 2015 12:42:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
smile Re: Promoting WCG throuigh my blog

Hmm, I think I got OCD too with crunching, but I'm running TThrottle on all PCs and keeping most core temps at no more than 60 deg. smile
[Edit 2 times, last edit by nomad416 at Oct 2, 2015 1:09:39 AM]
[Oct 2, 2015 1:05:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Every little bit help's though, even if you just dedicate 1 or 2 cores of your CPU for crunching, it will keep temp very low and you won't even notice its running in the background. Just have it auto-start when the computer is switched on so it goes in the tray and you don't even have to think about it.
[Oct 2, 2015 1:08:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

As you can see, I have never ended my affiliation with WCG or any of the other BOINC projects on which I worked. One should never say never.
[Oct 2, 2015 1:45:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

I had problems with overheating in three computers. I also got a little crazy with O.C.D. as a cruncher. If you look at my boincstats records, I think I did my job for as long as I could.
Uh... but that's what normal WCG crunchers do, right? wink Thanks and keep up the good work.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Oct 2, 2015 1:07:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Skivelitis2
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I also got a little crazy with O.C.D. as a cruncher.

I think we all do! I find myself looking sideways at my girlfriend whenever she "wastes" my CPU cycles watching cat videos on YouTube. sad

Also, waking up in the middle of the night to report tasks and check BOINCstats just ain't right. wink

[Oct 3, 2015 4:28:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I see that I am not alone.
[Oct 3, 2015 11:56:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
supdood
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

OCD for crunching doesn't seem so bad... wink

A note on overheating: I use cpufreq in Ubuntu 14.04 and max processor settings in the power setting of Win7 to reduce CPU cycle frequency to great effect. Running two old laptops one around 62 the other 56 degrees with little to no fan noise and one to two degree fluctuation. I'd suggest something like this if you want to get back into it on a lesser scale. Still get to crunch but without the stress on your machine(s).
Crunch with BOINC team USA
www.boincusa.com

[Oct 4, 2015 12:21:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread