Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 880 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Not swapping tasks despite setting

I am currently running two projects: astro analysis and cancer markers search. I have computer settings set to swap tasks after 60 minutes but this does not seem to be happening. Whatever is running stays running until I say 'pause' and then reactivate the other project. Is the setting for something else?

Lawrence Harris
[Oct 27, 2015 10:48:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Not swapping tasks despite setting

The switching will take place, when the resource share is almost equal.
It depends what you've done with your projects in the past.
When you had e.g. running your astro project for a longer time, then it will need days,
maybe even weeks to make the 2 projects equal.
As long as one project is running that project 'debt' is increased slowly and the 'debt' of
the other project will decrease (very) slowly.
----------------------------------------

[Oct 27, 2015 11:03:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

To add, projects are run in spurts, so there will be a period of one 'project' getting the time, then the client going out to the next **. This is at top level, not at application level, DoubleUCeeGee being one project for BOINC.

Micromanagers don't like this, as the OP witnesses. biggrin

(debt, I'm not so sure the concept still exists... there's some credit balancing act, so projects that give too little credit, slow credit get more time to make up... now could that not be a devious way to get more runtime devilish.)

** Varies with client versions, old and new and newest.
[Oct 27, 2015 11:39:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

(debt, I'm not so sure the concept still exists... there's some credit balancing act, so projects that give too little credit, slow credit get more time to make up... now could that not be a devious way to get more runtime devilish.)
Your tiny devil asking for the well known way.

It's not known anymore as debt ( for that reason ' ' ), but rec (recent estimated credit).
It's a project independend artificial calculation and has nothing to do with the credit you get granted from a project.

You'll find the current <rec> of the projects in the client_state.xml in your BOINC data directory,
when not running very ancient BOINC client software.

[Oct 27, 2015 2:55:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Thx for reminding me, asked the very question in the alpha mail list at time of implementation. Yeah, the credit simulation made REC, to me at least, a return to the old 'on-client' debt concept, a reinvention of the ol wheel, but could be entirely mistaken. alien 2
[Oct 27, 2015 3:09:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
noderaser
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

IIRC, you also have to have the "Leave applications in memory" preference set, and BOINC will not switch applications until you reach a checkpoint. Since some apps (such as CEP2) go a very long time between checkpoints, they may not switch according to your preferences.
[Oct 29, 2015 1:00:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

ONLY, first checkpoint the LAIM is enforced, automatic, afterwards, yes checkpointing is swapping point, LAIM not required as that is a safe point to unload lossless.

Then there are projects that never checkpoint [design?], so they will probably always run all the way through. thinking
[Oct 30, 2015 11:36:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
noderaser
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Then there are projects that never checkpoint [design?], so they will probably always run all the way through. thinking

I know that for some projects, this is due to the third-party software being used. One example is BURP and Blender.
[Nov 2, 2015 1:28:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread